View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Was that $28 million bonus an unusual thing to have in a contract especially for a player (no matter how good) who is as old as Peyton is, for a player in his twilight years?

And, do you think Arizona has all the "right pieces" to lure Peyton?
It's not unusual for players to have bonuses, but 28 million would have been the largest lump sum of cash ever paid to an NFL player. However, that was exactly what Jim Irsay said he wanted when he resigned Peyton not long ago. Irsay said he wanted to make Peyton the highest paid player in the NFL, and he did.

According to ESPN and KTAR here in Phoenix, Manning is meeting with the Cardinals brass and Larry Fitzgerald as I am typing this. There are also reports that Manning has narrowed it down to either Denver or Arizona and that he is leaning towards Denver. Obviously, I think the Cardinals have a great up-and-coming squad that could be put over the top by a QB like Peyton, but one of our setbacks is our offensive line and the fact that we are in the NFC. Denver was closer to the Super Bowl than we were last season, and they sit in a much more wide open division, and conference, than the Cardinals. I think staying in the AFC could ultimately be what it boils down to for Peyton because it's the conference he knows better, and because he would be less likely to have to directly compete with his brother Eli (unless they both make it to the Super Bowl).