View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.
If you know that Foxy meant it as a compliment, then why would try to undermine that? Regardless of how others may want to twist the words, Melissa was clearly telling Dawn that she was a woman who is strong, as evidenced by her ability to walk away (and stay away) from an abuser.