View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
My heart bleeds that you went through that.. I am so sorry, but I am also glad you are out of it... You are a strong woman.
You did not derail anything.. You speak from experience.
The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555

Last edited by Play The Man; 02-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.