View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
My heart bleeds that you went through that.. I am so sorry, but I am also glad you are out of it... You are a strong woman.
You did not derail anything.. You speak from experience.
The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.

Last edited by Play The Man; 02-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.