Thread: Hoarders
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Traditionally, the seven deadly sins were: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony. I could see having a dirty house come under the sin of sloth. Hoarding objects could come under the sin of greed. However, I agree with the others here that there is a significant component of mental illness in the extreme hoarders.

A few years ago, we had an elderly woman as a next-door neighbor. One evening, my wife thought she heard someone calling out and had me go next door to investigate. The elderly woman had fallen down in her doorway and couldn't get up. I went over and lifted her up and offered to call an ambulance. She declined. She had fallen in the doorway, so I was able to see in her house. The entire house was filled to a depth of 3 feet with trash, mostly newspapers. I was so shocked by what I saw, that I actually felt lightheaded, as if I was about to pass out. I didn't know the lady well. She was a grump and didn't talk to anyone. I prayed for her. The next day I approached her and said something to the effect that I take a load of recyclables to the dropoff every week and I would be happy to take loads of newspaper for her. She declined. We put out the word among the other little old ladies in the neighborhood that she was in a bad way and couldn't live like this any longer. Thankfully, some distant family came and cleared out her house and took her to a nursing home. The day before she left, she stopped by our house and gave us a box of cookies (they were wrapped in cellophane and had a current expiration date ).

Last edited by Play The Man; 01-17-2012 at 07:04 AM.