View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

On a cold January day in 1649, King Charles I stepped before a hushed crowd of Londoners. He ascended the scaffold, wished his executioner well, and knelt, thrusting his head forward onto the dry chopping block. The ax fell, severing his head from his neck. Then the executioner lifted the king’s head and cried, "Behold the head of a traitor."1

The unthinkable had happened. A "Christian" nation had put its king to death. Spontaneously, an audible groan pulsed through the anxious throng, "a groan, said an eyewitness, ’as I never heard before and desire I may never hear again’ "2 — one that represented the sentiment of many Englishmen and most contemporary Europeans.

Few recognize history’s great turning points when they occur. The execution of Charles I was no exception. The ideals of the Reformation had reached full expression, affecting even the sphere of politics, and the Puritans were the vehicle in which these ideals had traveled. They terminated in Charles’ execution.

And, no one was more single mindedly devoted to the Bible, and the political implications of its truths than the Puritan, Oliver Cromwell (1599–1659), the man primarily responsible for the king’s beheading. He was England’s greatest 17th-century statesman and a military genius who, although lacking formal military training, was never defeated in battle. To his dismay, he eventually replaced the king, ruling England as Lord Protector. He was offered crown and monarchy but refused it.

To the ideas planted by Cromwell and his Puritan peers, we owe most of our religious and political liberty, the inception of capitalism, the birth of the scientific revolution, and the advent of denominationalism. Cromwell represented the Puritan ideals well.

For eleven years from the execution of Charles I in 1649 to the restoration of his son Charles II in 1660, England and Scotland were republics. Under the Commonwealth and the Protectorate, Great Britain was governed by Oliver Cromwell. The Puritans pioneered many principles of government that were later copied in Massachusetts and the New England colonies. Many ideas, that we now call democratic, derive from these rigidly moralistic fundamentalists. A majority of the English people, however, were not Puritans. They did not like the Puritan laws against the theater, dancing, drinking, and gambling. After Oliver Cromwell died, there was a general groundswell for a restoration of the legitimate king, Charles II.

Small by WHOSE Standards The only people who think that Purtians were a "movement" and not a religion, were the Puritans themselves who supposedly wanted freedom of expression in religion...but ended up as self imposing as any other viable form of expression.

In England this was a HUGE deal. The Puritans destroyed Everything England actually was...the Monarchy has never recovered despite restoration. The English Civil War was the political reformation of the Modern Democratic Society. That is NOT a small feat. This was not a small Denomination...It was the Entire New Model Army...it was a Military Dictatorship!!!
That was the movement Dave. In that group were Congregationalist, Presbyterians, Anglicans, and a group that would later in America become the Baptist. The denomination was a spin of of the Congregationalist and at its peak had less that 3000 adherents. But since it was an English thing maybe you can cite a source I am unaware of. I only know what history books say.