View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Default My Trip To The Library

My child just got a library card and we have gone a couple times now to check out books at the library. I am a bibliophile. I have a home library with over 1,000 books. In addition, we have several hundred childrens books. My point is, we are not anti-book, anti-education, etc. The first trip, they had a display set up in the pre-school/Kindergarten section with a recommended book for small children. Can you guess the title? No, not The Three Little Bears . . . No, not Brown Bear, Brown Bear . . . No, not Goodnight Moon.

A description from the School Library Journal

Quote:
Grade 1–4—This gem of a book illustrates how love makes a family, even if it's not a traditional one. The narrator, a black girl, describes how her two Caucasian mothers, Marmee and Meema, adopted her, her Asian brother, and her red-headed sister. She tells about the wonderful times they have growing up in Berkeley, CA. With their large extended family and friends, they celebrate Halloween with homemade costumes, build a tree house, organize a neighborhood block party, and host a mother-daughter tea party. The narrator continually reinforces the affectionate feelings among her mothers and siblings, and the illustrations depict numerous scenes of smiling people having a grand time. Most of the neighbors are supportive, except for one woman who tells Marmee and Meema, "I don't appreciate what you two are." Eventually, the children grow up, marry heterosexual spouses, and return home to visit their aged parents with their own children. Is this an idealized vision of a how a gay couple can be accepted by their family and community? Absolutely. But the story serves as a model of inclusiveness for children who have same-sex parents, as well as for children who may have questions about a "different" family in their neighborhood. A lovely book that can help youngsters better understand their world.

A couple weeks later, I go back to the library. They have rotated a new book into the display as a recommeded book for preschool/Kindergarten students. Any guesses as to the title? No, not Dr. Seuss . . . No, not The Poky Little Puppy . . . No, not Thomas The Tank Engine

Quote:
Dyson loves the color pink and sparkly things. Sometimes he wears dresses, and sometimes he wears jeans. He likes to wear his princess tiara, even when climbing trees. He’s a Princess Boy, and his family loves him exactly the way he is.
Between federal, state, local, and sales taxes, our family is paying somewhere between 40-50% of our gross income on taxes. I am paying for this stuff. The classic childrens books are old, moldy, smelly, ripped, and stained. All the new books for children are essentially left-wing indoctrination or involve stories from third world countries. I don't know if I will be taking my children back to the library. I asked if they had an "adopt-a-book" program where I could purchase and donate a book of my choosing. The answer: no. Essentially, a left-leaning, unelected, nameless librarian gets to use my tax money to indoctrinate children. Why does a 4-year-old have to be taught about gender identity disorder, cross-dressing and lesbianism? Of course, if I disagree with this policy, I hate children and am against education.