View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
here i thought one of the duties of being a Cristian was to spread the word of God and try to help people come to God and be saved...
Yes, the primary mission of every Christian is to spread the Gospel of Christ. HOWEVER, if you compromise Truth in doing so, then you've defeated the whole purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
A child's happiness is one of the most wonderful things in the world and playing the Santa Claus game always bring a smile to their faces.
It would most definitely be a sin, even more so from a Christian parent. You're compromising your witness in what's likely the most important mission field you will ever be involved in: parenting. You might think you are giving them a sense of joy by letting them believe in Santa, but it's a false joy. Why not give them the real joy that they would get from learning about Christ? Then you will see that the fake joy of Santa Claus quickly becomes meaningless.

GOD hates lying. He hates it. He hates it. He hates it. He hates it so much that He sends liars to Hell to be tortured for all eternity. So, if you willfully choose to lie to your children, then just realize that GOD hates that. You might be giving your children a temporary and meaningless happiness (that's soon followed by the humiliation of knowing that they've been played for a fool); but you are building up GOD's wrath against you.

I'm not saying you are going to lose your salvation for teaching your children about Santa Claus (because it's impossible to lose your salvation for any reason), but there will be a price to pay and you are not going to like it. So, you need to ask if your willful rebellion against GOD in this matter is going to be worth it in the grand scheme of all eternity.

When I was a kid, we were taught about the historical figure of St. Nicolaus. We were also taught about the fictional character of Santa Claus, but we were never allowed to believe that Santa Claus (the guy in the red suit who magically delivers presents to all the children in the world every Christmas) was real. Despite this, I have nothing but happy memories of Christmas from my childhood. For us, Christmas was about learning about Christ and spending time with the family. Presents were always secondary and fictional stories like Santa, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, etc. were okay for entertainment purposes in the days leading up to Christmas, but once December 25th rolled around, it was all about Jesus Christ and family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Is this not idol worship?
Anything that takes attention away from GOD is idolatry. So, yes, focusing on Santa Claus at Christmastime, instead of Jesus Christ, would most definitely be idolatry.