Thread: How do you feel
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
I feel like a pin cushion! I just got out of the hospital today. I began to experience excruciating pain in my left calf last Friday, and it began to swell. I finally went to the ER, and the doctor said it looked like a blood clot, so they sent me to have an ultrasound. That showed nothing (small local hospital). The next day it was unbearable, so I finally went to the VA emergency room, and they found a large blood clot in my lower leg. I'm not sure how the other hospital missed it, but the VA docs said it could be life threatening.

They said it is most likely related to my immobility due to my MS, which causes the blood to pool in my lower legs and tend to clot. Now I'm on blood thinners indefinitely (cumadin and lovenox). I have to avoid everything that may involve accidentally getting cut, scraped, bruised, and the potential of falling. I also had a partially collapsed lung with some fluid in it from being too sedentary as well, although that sounds strange to me. I get 3 shots every day now. Kim may as well go ahead and get a nursing degree, lol.

The VA is also doing some kind of genetic study to see if the propensity to have blood clots could be inherited with me, because my mom and grandmother had them as well.

Lovenox is one of my specialties. We do the studies to find out of women have clotting disorders and then dose them with lovenox for their pregnancy. I teach patients about it several times a week and teach them how to self inject. Did they give you the speech on how to prevent bruising with the injections? You'll bruise some, but we give a whole segment of education on bruising tips. If clotting runs in your family, you will probably have the markers for it in the blood tests. Sorry you had to find out with a full blown DVT.

And Kim should get a nursing degree if she is at all interested. It's pretty good job security. People will always get old or get sick, even in the bad economy.

~Amy

My son made this for me: