View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I don't care what happens to my body when I'm dead. I am pretty serious about donating my body to science. That's what we are doing with my dad after his brain autopsy (for Alzheimers research). After the science folks are done with him, he will get cremated and his ashes buried with full honors in Arlington for his service to these most wonderful United States of America.

~Amy
I have signed up on my driver's license to be an organ donor. I am conflicted about body donation. You should read the book, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. She describes the fate of bodies donated to science. Some are left out to rot at the "body farm" in Tennessee in forensic experiments, some are used as crash test dummies to see how different bones are broken in car crashes, some are beheaded and the heads are used for suturing practice by physicians taking weekend courses to improve their income by learning cosmetic procedures, etc., etc., etc. In some sense, it doesn't matter; we all turn to dust anyway. Still, I think I'd rather be buried.