View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Posts: n/a

I'll add my little story.....

I got up at 4:30 am on Saturday morning so that I could get to the airport. I was not entirely awake (who would be?) and forgot all kinds of stuff. I did have the main necessities for this trip....Matt Hughes OMR shirt, credit card I bought the tickets with, and my ID.

I leave San Diego and get to Denver around 10:00 am. I meet up with my parents and my sister and her family (I am originally from CO). We go to the zoo and hang out there until about 1:30 and then my dad and I take off and head to the Pepsi Center.

I had remembered that there was an autograph signing going on from 2:00 until fight time, so we stood in line to get autographs. I thought it was supposed to be Bisping, Rashad, Ludwig, and Schaub....but Rashad was not there and Bisping was just roaming around.

Got into the fights and we were 8 rows up and were sitting about 5 seats over from the tunnel that Matt and Bones came out of (also where all the fighters exited to after their fights). They were really good seats and you could pretty much watch the whole fight in the cage rather than watching the big screen. The crowd was amazing, I have never seen or heard a more pro-Hughes was great and made me proud to be a fan! When Hank started playing, it was electric.

The fight didn't go how we all hoped, but Matt did a great job. His standup looked great and he surprised Kos. From what I remember, it was a knee that Matt tried that caused him to get off balance and that is where Kos got him.

After the fights we head back to our hotel. My dad decided to go to the bar there to get a drink and some food. I stayed at the hotel trying to see if I could find out where everyone might be....One problem, cell phone is dead. This is where things get interesting.

Sooooo...I leave the hotel and start walking around, looking for somewhere to eat and just hang out. I turn the corner and there is Bubba Gump's. So I head in and sit at the bar. I order some food and a beer and am just thinking about the fights. Next thing I know some guy with a mohawk walks by. First thought, "No way...can't be Chuck". He turns around, yep it is the Iceman. A little later on, I see someone wearing a Team Hughes sweatshirt that looks like Boomer. I finish my meal and pay and head back to where Boomer went and I walk in the room where everyone is.

It was simply luck that I ran into everyone there, but I am not complaining. I got to meet most of my favorite fighters and some forum members. It was a great night that I will always remember.

I am not sure what Matt's future holds, but I can tell this is going to be hard to walk away from. Matt has said that he loves spending time with the guys and it seemed that Saturday night was no different.

Reply With Quote