View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
If you want assistance from the state in living... you shouldn't be breaking the state's laws.
You're going with the assumption that they are already guilty. Innocent until proven guilty is how we do it in America. Are you going to check them to make sure they don't drink alcohol, after all, you don't want them buying booze with that money do you.

Quote:
I do know that there are people that mooch off the state.... I do know that when I was in the hospital...I heard one guy telling another guy to "forget that job.. get you some food stamps.. and sell those".... and the article shows that they will recoup the cost of the test..
Anecdotal. Was this guy on drugs? Not even related to this discussion.

Quote:
I don't care about who makes money on the tests... I do care that money that I would rather see go to more cops.. better teachers... and such... do NOT go to provide for an addition
I do care who makes money, especially if it involves a conflict of interest. Again, innocent until proven guilty is how we do it here in America. Unlawful search.

Quote:
the contiguous United States??? maybe your fairly well off.. or still living at home... but I don't want my tax dollars being snorted up a nose and such...
CONUS is the CONstitution of the United States. Again, you are making an assumption of guilt based on them being poor.

Quote:
Would you rather provide for those that don't want to provide fro themselves because their are people out there that will provide for them.. and then allow them to pervert the system that takes from you.. and gives to them...?
That's not the issue. Innocent until proven guilty and no illegal searches and seizure is what I wish. Are you going to smell their fingers to make sure they don't smell like McD's fries?

Quote:
I would rather see the new(ish) debit cards that took the place of food stamps... can only be used at local government "grocery stores". And in those stores.. no.. there are no Doritos .. and such.. it would suck for the kids... not to get a treat.. but I am working my arse off.. to provide for my family.. I shouldn't have to subsidize people I don't even know while they are puffing on the pipe.... I haven't had a great steak in a while... but my taxes go to provide for the family with the Escalade in their front yard.. while their house is falling down... and yes.. I am using a specific example.. 4 miles from my home.. that's exactly what's going on.. and they still have their cable TV... but the cops still cruise by.. can't wait...
Now I can agree with you a bit on this. Make it so the cards are ID picture cards so they can't be bartered and make it so only food and necessities are allowed, but don't punish the poor by making them pay for a drug test which they already can't afford. If they wish to voluntarily take a test and get treatment, I'm ok with that.

Quote:
When I was a kid.. I lived on government cheese and such.. but my mom always had a bottle of cheap vodka and smokes in the house.. my mom used to sell her food stamps to friends and family for .50 on the dollar. I am not kidding... that's how it was... I don't want to fund that at all.
That sucks for you and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Alcohol is legal though so your mom wouldn't be caught in that and could still continue that even if she had to take a drug test.