View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I found a lot of articles and it looks like I have some good options.
nothing's worse than running out of gas about halfway through class or getting the burps. LOL

I'll try most of these.

I used to mix dry oatmeal with apple sauce and that seemed to work good too.
It's basically about supplying your body with enough lasting energy:

1. Glycogen which is a sugar store in the muscles which is produced by digesting carbohydrates. They provide instant energy, but you want a steady stream of glycogen, which is why we recommend a complex carb or at least a slower digesting carb.
2. Amino acids which will help prevent catabolism (muscle tissue breakdown for energy) during a strenuous workout which is provided by digesting protein.

The problem most people have is they "drink the Kool-Aid, errr....Gatorade" - ingesting a fast digesting carb such as high fructose corn syrup found in Gatorade. This will cause an insulin spike, and supply the body with energy, but not anything lasting - this is why a lot of people crash during a workout.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread, so you're on the right track to having plenty of energy for a couple hours without the crash. Your dry oatmeal with applesauce is a great idea. My only personal recommendation is that you give your body some amino acids to help prevent catabolism (breakdown of muscle tissue) - 1 to 1.5 scoop(s) of whey protein will be adequate for that.

Good luck and let us know how your energy is in your next workouts!