Thread: inspired
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM
suntereo

an article my wife wrote for a fitness magazine / newsletter

Every year for the last 10 years I have always had the same New Years Resolution, to lose weight and get healthy. But, year after year I put on more and more weight. This year I was either going to make a change or just give up. With the support of my wonderful husband Bodi and an amazing friend Sara, On January 1st 2011 I walked into Urban Fitnees in Mount Vernon. Wa. and bought a one year membership and got a personal trainer. The next week I met with my personal trainer, Juliana Uluave Gould. My first appointment was very tough not because of any workout but because of the physical assesment. I could not believe at 5'7'' that I weighed 240 lbs and was over 25% body fat. Juliana was very motivating telling me that "we all need a starting point" and so my journey began.......

The first few weeks were hard I was sore and feeling very tired. If it had not been for Juliana's belief in me I would have given up! with her support by February I had lost about 15 pounds, not bad for 4 weeks! Juliana mentioned the Urban Fitness Weight Loss Challenge and encouraged me to enter. I have always been very competitive and thought this is just what I needed to motivate me!

During the Challenge I went to the gym everyday for about two hours and met with Juliana twice a week. I quickly realised how great I was feeling and loved going to the gym! At the half way point in the Challenge I was in second place and for me that was a great place to be as I love being the underdog! So I decided to up my game! Juliana and I started meeting three times a week and I was going to the gym twice a day. I followed the diet she gave me perfectly with a cheat day here and there.

Then with just a few weeks left in the Challenge I started to have a few setbacks. My left leg was hurting everytime I did any kind of high impact cardio. Juliana being the amazing trainer that she is changed my cardio in order to work around my injury. So the stationary bike became my best friend! Discourgement also became an issue. "When you live so long thinking you are unable to do something it is hard to change that way of thinking". During this time I started focusing on the scripture "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". This has been a verse I have known for a long time but I was during the Challenge that I realised it says "I". This requires me to put forth the effort and it is God's job to provide the strength and endurance to finish strong. Now when I do cardio I spend the last minute going as fast as I can or during weight training I do an extra rep or two, so I know I have given 110% everytime and finished strong!

At the finale I knew it was neck and neck between me and another gal. I had seen her at the gym everyday working as hard as I was! In the end I was victorious winning my category. Losing 40 pounds in 60 days, 18.3% of my body weight.

As of today I have lost a little over 60 pounds my body fat is down to 13.1%. Just 5 months ago I was wearing size 16 pants and just the other day I bought my first pair of size 8! I have so much energy now and wake up everyday ready to conquer the world!

I would like to thank Sham and Cindy the owners of Urban Fitness for giving me the opportunity to change my life. Also, thank you to all the trainers and staff at the gym who always show by example because "they don't talk it, thay walk it"! To my wonderful husband Bodi, thank You for always seeing the beauty in me, without you I would be nothing and last but not ever least, Juliana I can not express how greatful I am to you for everything! You never let me give up always believing in me and show me everyday how strong and beautiful I am!

Alisha Orton