View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Do the links say cat lovers are safest?
Here's ways you can get it....Omg I hate cats.. I am allergic to them. If one is anywhere within a few feet from me I get watery eyes and feel like I can't breathe...

Modes of Transmission

Person-to-person transmission through the fecal-oral route is the primary means of HAV transmission in the United States. Transmission occurs most frequently among close contacts, especially in households and extended family settings (31). Because the majority of children have asymptomatic or unrecognized infections, they play a key role in HAV transmission and serve as a source of infection for others (32,33). In one study of adults without an identified source, 52% of their households included a child aged <6 years, and the presence of a young child was associated with HAV transmission in the household (32). In studies in which serologic testing of the household contacts of adults without an identified source of infection was performed, 25%--40% of contacts aged <6 years had serologic evidence of acute HAV infection (IgM anti-HAV) (17,32).

Common-source outbreaks and sporadic cases also can occur from exposure to fecally contaminated food or water. Uncooked foods have been recognized frequently as a source of outbreaks (34). Cooked foods also can transmit HAV if cooking is inadequate to kill the virus or if food is contaminated after cooking, as occurs commonly in outbreaks associated with infected food handlers (34--37). Waterborne outbreaks of hepatitis A are infrequent in developed countries with well-maintained sanitation and water supplies. The majority of waterborne outbreaks are associated with sewage-contaminated or inadequately treated water (38--40). Outbreaks in the context of floods or other natural disasters (e.g., hurricanes) have not been reported in the United States.

Depending on conditions, HAV can be stable in the environment for months (41). Heating foods at temperatures >185F (>85C) for 1 minute or disinfecting surfaces with a 1:100 dilution of sodium hypochlorite (i.e., household bleach) in tap water is necessary to inactivate HAV (42).

On rare occasions, HAV infection has been transmitted by transfusion of blood or blood products collected from donors during the viremic phase of their infection (20,43). Since 2002, nucleic acid amplification tests such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR) have been applied to the screening of source plasma used for the manufacture of plasma-derived products (44).

In experimentally infected nonhuman primates, HAV has been detected in saliva during the incubation period (45). However, transmission by saliva has not been demonstrated