Thread: Alves Rematch
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That's one of the things that I will always hold against Alves. Matt was 3.5 pounds over on the morning of the weigh-ins and spent the day cutting that extra weight. Thiago knew that he would be 4 pounds over and made no attempt to cut weight. They could have easily just made it into a catch-weight fight instead of forcing Matt to go through the whole weight cut process.

I see it as a cheat on the part of Alves' team to give Thiago a strength advantage.
I agree. I would love to see Matt avenge that loss and kick Alves up to middleweight. I strongly suspect that Alves uses anabolic steroids. He was caught using banned diuretics. He has disrespected several opponents by missing weight. I don't know if it is possible, but I wish Matt could have a contract stipulation that Alves begin random drug testing several months prior to the fight. He is probably doing cycles of steroids and/or Growth Hormone treatments in the months leading up to the fight. Also, demand a higher penalty for being overweight and force Alves to take extra time to cut the weight, rather than accept the penalty and stop the weight cut. It won't happen, but it would be nice.