View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

MMATorch (http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publ...cle_6432.shtml) -

Quote:
Forecasting the Next Fight for UFC 117's Major Players

Despite the mind blowing and epic nature of not only UFC 117's main event, but the card as a whole, the show must go on, and all of these fighters are going to have to start thinking about their next opponent. I've decided to give Joe Silva some time off and set up the next fight for all the key fighters from Saturday's show. No, I won't waste my time telling you who Christian Morecraft will be fighting next time (I'd need a Rolodex with every fighter NOT under UFC contract for that), but I'll touch on all the needle movers. Let's take a look into the crystal ball, shall we?

Jon Fitch vs. Matt Hughes: I know, I know. Dana White already promised the Fitch-Alves winner a title shot, but he seemed to change his tune following Saturday night. Jake Shields is a fresh contender, and, assuming he gets past Martin Kampmann, I fully expect him to get the first crack at the GSP-Kos winner. That'll leave Jon Fitch needing to win one more fight to really, truly (seriously) earn his rematch with St. Pierre. Why not Hughes? It would be a match-up of perhaps the second and third best welterweights of all time, and its honestly a shame this fight has never happened before. Hughes, for his part, would have four wins in a row over names like Serra, Almeida, and Fitch, and it would be hard to argue with him getting one more crack at the crown before he hangs up the gloves. Hey, if Randy Couture gets a title shot by defeating James Toney, certainly a win over Jon Fitch would be enough for Matt Hughes.