View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12272&zoneid=13

MMAWeekly (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...2272&zoneid=13) -
Quote:
HUGHES OPTS FOR HUNTING IN 2010, RETURNS 2011

If anyone wondered where Matt Hughes belonged in the UFC's welterweight division, no one can tell the multi-time champion and now UFC hall of famer that it's not right near the top among the best in the division.

Hughes once again showed that he can go with the best as he submitted Brazilian Jiu-Jitzu black belt Ricardo Almeida in the first round of their match-up at UFC 117 on Saturday.

Over the last few years, Hughes has mentioned the possibility of retirement, and following a knockout loss to Thiago Alves, even more people told the Illinois fighter maybe it was time to call it a day.

Hughes wasn't listening, and it's a good thing. The one-time Pat Miletich trained fighter has now won three fights in a row including a victory over former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra, and a win over his coach and mentor Renzo Gracie.

One person who never doubted what Hughes was still capable of was UFC president Dana White, who sat back in awe once again as the farm boy from Illinois put on a great performance to get his 18th win inside the Octagon.

"I never thought that," White said about Hughes calling it a career anytime soon. "Hughes' last fight against Renzo Gracie, Hughes is one of these guys, I'll just put it this way Hughes is one of these guys, and has always been one of these guys that no matter what happens to him or what's going on in his life, he never says no to a fight. He's never turned down a fight, he always takes fights, and I'll just leave it at that."

If someone questions Hughes' relevancy in the division look no further that the only three losses he's suffered over the last six years. He's lost to current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, former champion B.J. Penn, and top five ranked fighter Thiago Alves. Outside of those fights, Hughes has won every match-up he's been involved in.

Following the fight with Almeida, Hughes did say he's due some time off, and plans on spending it with his family and one of his other favorite past times, hunting.

"I'll be real honest, I'm going to take this fall off, I'm going to do some hunting, and then early next year I'll talk with the UFC, and we'll figure out what we're going to do," Hughes said after the win.

The welterweight division is coming up on some major fights to close out 2010 including the debut of Jake Shields, as well as the title fight between St. Pierre and top contender Josh Koscheck. Whenever Hughes returns in 2011, he'll fit in just fine and there will always be a tough fight for him when he's ready to fight again.