View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
How do you pronounce that exactly? Is it "englaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd" or "englan-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh"?
Used to be called Angle-Land if that helps, as in Land of The Angles, who basically governed England during the dark ages. They were Northern Europeans from Angeln They married into the occupied Saxon culture which existed under the Romans...hence the term Anglo-Saxon.

Angeln became Angle-Land became Eng-land (its probably due to the pronunciation of the letter A in celtic/saxon type language...bet its pronounced more AE, and later, E.)

Although I think of myself as an Angle (I'm from an area of the country that still holds the name East Anglia though not really as an official title as East Midlands...its the same area) There is only ONE generation between myself, and Scotland...a place where my Patriarchy was far from nothing. I am Scot Nobility, or very close to it. I carry the name, and Only My Father stands between myself, and the last of our Clan actually born in Scotland itself....Course the rest of me is Angle ...and I think it is more Angle then Saxon...because I think its the Saxon surnames that generally seem to depict what the family did or a trade or something...and none of the other Three contributing Trees directly leading to me, hold any clue they are all rather odd...so I think Angle rather then Saxon. its unusual to find anything Viking or Norman, and if you do, spelling gives it away (Now people dont say Norman anyway, they say French )

First name has Jewish or Roman roots depending on how you choose to spell it and which way you look at it. Middle name is a total misnomer, could have come from anywhere or anything