View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 03:45 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Nuts have a very low BV with regards to protein, like gymcoach said, they are a fat. Basically, nuts have 6g of protein per serving and are only 60% BV, meaning you only get about 3.6g of protein that your body uses.

Here are some high protein sources:
- beef (lean cuts)
- skinless white meat chicken
- skinless turkey breast
- beef jerky
- milk
- whey protein
- cottage cheese
- cheese
- casein protein
- eggs (the whole egg - half of the protein is in the yolk, and don't worry about the fat or cholesterol from the egg, this is a quality fat, plus, the bulk of all nutrients are in the yolk. Saturated fats are the reasons for high cholesterol, not eating dietary cholesterol - this has little to no effect on blood plasma levels. However, there are approx. 16 types of saturated fat and they all metabolize differently - the ones to avoid are the ones in bad cooking oils such as cottonseed oil and vegetable oil and animal body fat).

For myself, I have a protein shake for breakfast (adjust your servings accordingly and blend it):
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 dry oats
- 1-2 scoops whey protein
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed oil
- Water (or milk if you don't like water with it)

No disrespect to gymcoach, just pointing out something...as for Muscle Milk, it's actually quite low in carbohydrates, but is a good fat and protein supplement:
- 12g fat
- 16g (5g fiber, for a 11g yield).
- 32g protein
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/milk.html