View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 AM
gymcoach97

Nuts are primarily a fat. While they are a good source of fat and they do have a fair amount of protein, they are largely a fat.

As folks have said already - your best sources of protein are eggs (particularly the egg whites), lean meats such as chicken breast, turkey, lean ground beef, lean ham (although, pay attention to the sodium content), fish (also a great source of healthy fats - typically Omega-3), and anything else such as bison, deer, etc.

Also, certain brands of yogurt contain a fair amount of protein as does cottage cheese.

These are probably your best sources. You could go with a protein drink. However, I may steer you clear of the orange juice depending upon what your goals are. Fruit juices have a lot of sugar. If your goal is to lean out, etc., then I encourage you to use water or skim milk and go with a whey protein mix that is low in carbohydrates. For example, Muscle Milk is really primarily a pre-, during, or post-workout type of drink. It has a lot of carbohydrates per serving. I do not recommend it during the other times of the day unless you have a goal of trying to get bigger. And, then, it would be acceptable.

So, I guess the bigger question is - what exactly are your goals?