View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Steve Nash is a 2 time MVP too, but that is not the point. MVP is not always the best way to grade a person against the rest of the league at the time. Malone got handed the MVP in 97 but we ALL know Jordan was the real MVP and the Bulls beat the Jazz in the finals. The second MVP he got was during the lockout season that was only like 50 games and then the Jazz lost in the second round.

Amare has only played about 7 full seasons, and it's actually less than that. Karl didn't win his MVP's until later in his 19 year career. I am not saying Amare is better than Malone in terms of legacy at this point because I don't have a crystal ball, I am saying in terms of their game and the numbers they put up, they are similar in a lot of ways. Amare's greatness will be tested for sure though, because he is not gonna have Nash much longer. People who think Amare can't play defense don't watch the Suns enough, and also are not taking into consideration the type of game they have morphed into since Mike D'antoni left and we tried the Shaq experiment with Terry Porter as coach, and now with Alvin Gentry. This season has shown a somewhat difference Suns team, not a defensive powerhouse by any means, but not as lax as it used to be with other people on the roster. Still, the Suns are an offensive oriented team with a lot of high output scorers.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about seeing them strap it down and play some tight-d, but in the end this game is about getting the ball in the basket, and the Suns do it better than any team in the league right now. Numbers don't lie.
Amare played in a system that allowed frickin sean marion to score over 20 points a game. You cant compare numbers.. Nash and stockton are comparable but Nash didnt even score in double figures until like his 5th year in the league

ps while jordan deserved the mvp in 97 Karl deserved it in 98 so it all evens out