View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
These were the paragraphs that stood out to me.

I have a friend whose husband is often deployed; they have 4 kids and I'm sure she'd love to have some artisan ciabatta, grass-fed beef and Perrier. She sent me her Cooking Light magazines as she couldn't afford to make those recipes, I think this article would put her through the roof too.

For me, it's not so much what they bought with their food stamps - oh wait, must use the PC wording - Electronic Transfer Benefit Card, but that they even GET food stamps. I was unemployed at different times when I was in my 20's and I did draw unemployment but never considered applying for food stamps. And with benefits being extended to 90 weeks (or something like that) I think there's no reason for these single kids to be using a government subsidy that was meant to help people in dire need.

Shane just posted recently that his family is going through a very rough time but I'd be willing to bet they aren't shopping at Whole Foods.

OK, rant over.
I agree with your rant. Do you think our soldiers are getting "gourmet ice cream", "fresh-squeezed juice", "roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes", "Perrier", "artisanal bread, heirloom tomatoes, and grass-fed beef"? I would bet that the menu is more likely to be a MRE or S**t on a Shingle.

Our national debt is currently at:

We do not need to be buying gourmet food for entitled hipsters.