View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Well, it is possible to successfully teach kids to abstain from sex. My brother and I were not sexually active at all when we were under 18, but that was because my parents took a very active role in teaching us about sex early on and monitoring what we watched on TV and who we spent our time with outside of school.

To say "you need to abstain from sex, but just in case you feel the urge, then you should use a condom" completely destroys any message of abstinence.

Let's see if we can apply that logic to other moral issues:

"You should never commit murder, but just in case someone really pisses you off, then shoot them in the head because it's quick and painless."

"You should never steal, but just in case you really really want something, then make sure it costs less than $3000, because you won't be charged with a felony."

"You should never beat your wife, but just in case you lose your temper and can't control yourself, then use a bar of soap wrapped in a towel because it won't leave any marks."
Now I don't think anyone would be mistaken for a good parent if they taught their children those philosophies. So why should a person who teaches their children to be slaves to their sexual urges be considered a good or responsible parent?
how do you know that Nate ?