Thread: cholesteral
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
For starters, was it just your cholesterol that was high? or did you also have high triglycerides?

Gymcoach is absolutely right, genetics can play a big role, especially if you have a family history of: early heart attacks, heart disease, atherosclerosis etc. That would be a place to start, and then discuss that with your doctor.

In terms of reducing your numbers. The best thing in my oppinion is diet and exercise. I myself have a big family history of high cholesterol and diabetes in my family, and I once had bad numbers as well. But through diet and exercise I changed that. In diet, you are going to want to reduce your fat content, specifically your saturated and trans-fat. This would include: Bacon, sausages, burgers, fries, lots of red meats, butters etc. Start eating healthier meats like: fish and chicken (but not the fried kind).

In terms of exercise, start running or biking or do something that will give you a good sweat for 30-40 min. If you are worried that your numbers are high, based on your hight and weight that you gave us: try losing 5-10 lbs. Even that small amount of weight can help WONDERS for your cholesterol numbers.

Finally, there are medications (like Lipitor) that can help with cholesterol problems. But beleive me, you do NOT want to go on medications. It should be one of your last resorts.
Can you elaborate? Reason I ask, I've been on Lipitor for 2-1/2 years now. My dad died of heart disease at 56 and his dad at 49. I have heard mixed things about Lipitor. I've heard some people having muscle problems, liver failure, all kinds of things. I really do not like being on it, but my doctor says given my family history and my levels before I started taking the Lipitor, I need to be on it. The last time they checked my levels I was doing great. My TG's were low, my LDL was low and my HDL was up. But, I shed about 55 lbs before then. I asked my doctor if he would consider taking me off the med to see where my levels would go, but he told me no.

Am I slowly killing myself being on this medication? I would hate to find out when I'm 50 that my heart is healthy, but my liver is shot!

And did you know that one of the ingredients in Lipitor is Talc?????? That cannot be good for you!