Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Silva vs Bonnar new main event at UFC 153 (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9934)

kevint13 09-13-2012 01:57 AM

Silva vs Bonnar new main event at UFC 153

Per Ariel Helwani:

Quote:

Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar at 205 pounds and Glover Teixeira vs. Fabio Maldonadao set for UFC 153, per our friends at @usatoday.
Also Big Nog will fight Dave Herman.

VCURamFan 09-13-2012 02:02 AM

Just saw this. You gotta be friggin' kidding me.

VCURamFan 09-13-2012 02:03 AM

From MMAFighting.com:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo...xtra_large.jpg

Quote:

One day after UFC 153's top two fights fell out, two more took their place.

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will step up to 205 pounds and meet veteran Stephan Bonnar in the main event of the Oct. 13 card at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

The bout replaces the planned featherweight title bout between champion Jose Aldo Jr. and Frankie Edgar. Aldo had to pull out of the fight on Tuesday due to complications from injuries suffered in a recent motorcycle accident.

The new co-main event features a battle of Brazilian light heavyweights as Glover Teixeira (18-2) faces Fabio Maldonado (18-5). Maldonado replaces Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who also had to pull out due to injury.

MMAFighting.com confirmed the bouts after an initial USA Today report.

Silva (32-4), who will be celebrating his sixth anniversary as middleweight champion the day after UFC 153, has twice stepped up and fought at 205 during his record streak of 15 consecutive UFC wins. Both were first-round knockouts, as he stopped James Irvin in July 2008, and took out former champ Forrest Griffin at UFC 101.

The world's top pound-for-pound fighter had previously stated that he was done competing at light heavyweight, but the opportunity to step up, save a show, and fight in front of his Brazilian fans was apparently too much to resist.

Bonnar (14-7), meanwhile, is most famous for his bout against Griffin in "The Ultimate Fighter 1" finale. While he's had his career ups and downs, Bonnar has won his past three fights.

Teixeira made an impressive company debut at UFC 146, when he stopped Kyle Kingsbury. While there were strong rumors on Wednesday that Thiago Silva would take Jackson's spot against Teixeira, the spot instead went to Maldonado, who was slated to meet Cyrille Diabate at UFC 154. Maldanado is 1-2 in UFC action, most recently coming out on the wrong end of a highly debatable decision against Igor Pokrajac on May 15.

kevint13 09-13-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 194748)
Just saw this. You gotta be friggin' kidding me.

Nope...no joking on this one.

I think it works on short notice, I don't give Bonnar much of a chance but he has been wanting to fight. Silva can then say he destroyed both of the guys from the "most important fight in UFC history".

cheachea 09-13-2012 02:22 AM

This is just lame. I'd rather see Silva fight Rampage then Stephen Bonnar.

kevint13 09-13-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheachea (Post 194751)
This is just lame. I'd rather see Silva fight Rampage then Stephen Bonnar.

Rampage is injured....he was supposed to fight Glover Texiera on this card.

JavierDLC 09-13-2012 02:54 AM

Do you guys know where the wake for Bonnar will be held?

MattHughesRocks 09-13-2012 03:57 AM

Late April fools joke? Seriously....maybe Bonnar is is going to "get injured" before the fight like the rest? :blink:

F34R 09-13-2012 04:46 AM

This will be a great test for both of the fighters.

JavierDLC 09-13-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F34R (Post 194756)
This will be a great test for both of the fighters.

Your kidding right?

Unless you mean the test will be not getting injured from now till the fight.:mellow: