Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ultimate Fighter (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   With TUF 16 starting Friday, here's a chance to preview each participant (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9931)

VCURamFan 09-11-2012 08:33 PM

With TUF 16 starting Friday, here's a chance to preview each participant

From MMAMania.com:

Quote:

[Originally posted Aug 31st]

Following yesterday's announcement of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 16 roster, the gang at MMA Nation compiled footage on 31 of the 32 cast members who will debut on Sept. 14 at 9 p.m. ET on the FX Channel. Here's your chance to scout out the early favorites before the premiere episode. For more great MMA videos and playlists subscribe here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8o_9...B8508455B1EC96
And here's the aforementioned roster:

Quote:

Bristol Marunde, 30, Las Vegas, Nev.
Cameron Diffley, 27, Las Vegas, Nev.
Colton Smith, 25, Fort Hood, Texas via Ankeny, Iowa
Cortez Coleman, 30, Hugo, Okla.
David Michaud, 23, Pine Ridge, S.D.
Diego Bautista, 26, Lakewood, Calif.
Dom Waters, 23, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Eddy Ellis, 29, Olympia, Wash.,
Frank Camacho, 23, Camp Springs, Md.,
George Lockhart, 29, Atlanta, Ga.
Igor Araujo, 31, Albuquerque, N.M. via Patos De Minas, Brazil
James Chaney, 25, Klamath Falls, Ore.
Jason South, 34, West Jordan, Utah
Jerel Clark, 23, Reno, Nev.
Jesse Barrett, 26, Tempe, Ariz.
Joey Rivera, 32, Tucson, Ariz. - "Grandpa" of the cast
Jon Manley, 26, Ludlow, Mass.
Julian Lane, 25, Mansfield, Ohio
Kevin Nowaczyk, 23, Chicago, Ill.
Leo Kuntz, 28, Bismarck, N.D.
Lev Magen, 25, Las Vegas, Nev.
Matt Secor, 25, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
Max Griffin, 26, Sacramento, Calif.
Michael Hill, 25, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Mike Ricci, 26, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neil Magny, 24, Chicago, Ill.
Nic Herron-Webb, 22, Anchorage, Alaska - "Baby" of the cast
Ricky Legere Jr., 26, Corona, Calif.
Saad Awad, 23, San Bernardino, Calif.
Sam Alvey, 26, Murrieta, Calif.
Tim Ruberg, 30, Harrison, Ohio
Zane Kamaka, 23, Klaianae, Hawaii

VCURamFan 09-12-2012 02:44 AM

OK, so the first 8 videos are of Bristol Marunde. 1-3 are full fights, 4 is HLs of a fight, 5 is the finish of a fight, and 6-8 are 1 round each of a 3 rnd fight.

Basically, he's a striker that occasionally surprises with a decent takedown (typically catch a kick & sweep or duck under punches for a blast double). Technique's OK when he's fresh, but tends to start flagging about mid-way through Rnd 2. Only submission showcased was a nasty looking Kimura from side control.

VCURamFan 09-12-2012 03:08 AM

Next 5 are Cameron Diffley, but they're all jits competitions. 9, 10 & 13 are from Grapplers' Quest, 11 is from NAGA & 12 is an unnamed "Tournament in Utah". He loses 9 & 10, wins the 11 on points, 12 (against Josh Burkman) by triangle & 13 by RNC.

He's got some nice jits, but it all looks sport-based (as opposed to MMA based). Lots of inverted guard, spins & open guard play that doesn't lend itself towards protecting your face. Also, if 3 of your 5 "highlight matches" go to BJJ points, there's no way you're winning an MMA fight.

TexasRN 09-12-2012 11:37 AM

I really have no interest in TUF anymore. Last season was the last straw for me. I couldn't even make myself watch the finale. :sad: Maybe they'll make enough changes to make it interesting again but as for now, I'll be skipping it. That means I am counting on you to tell me all about it, Ben.:laugh:

~Amy

VCURamFan 09-12-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasRN (Post 194721)
I really have no interest in TUF anymore. Last season was the last straw for me. I couldn't even make myself watch the finale. :sad: Maybe they'll make enough changes to make it interesting again but as for now, I'll be skipping it. That means I am counting on you to tell me all about it, Ben.:laugh:

~Amy

I'll do what I can. I mean, as a young single guy, Fridays aren't exactly the timeslot during which I'm most likely to stay home. Kinda seems like a really dumb scheduling decision considering I'm their main demographic...

County Mike 09-12-2012 02:26 PM

Leo Kuntz is my new favorite fighter name.

I hope he wins.

VCURamFan 09-13-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike (Post 194725)
Leo Kuntz is my new favorite fighter name.

I hope he wins.

:happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198:

For his sake, I hope it's pronounced "coonts"

:happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198:

VCURamFan 09-23-2012 02:42 PM

OK, so now that we've had 2 episodes of TUF already (both of which I've missed :laugh:), I figure it's time for me to finish watching these preview fights!!

Next dude up is Colton Smith (videos 14-19). 14 is an MMA fight he wins by Anaconda in the first. 15 is a BJJ match he's controlling for 95% but the other guy gets a reversal in the closing seconds to win on points. 16-18 is one-round-each of an MMA fight, which he eventually loses by decision. 19 is an MMA win by RNC.

His striking leaves something to be desired. Very aggressive & willing to trade, yes, but lots of hands-down-chin-up with winging haymakers. He moves forward into the clinch quickly, looks for the takedown & once on top, maintains on control very well. His MMA jits is pretty good & he has nice GnP to compliment it. Also, seems to listen to his coaches well, which will be a help on the show.

VCURamFan 09-23-2012 02:44 PM

Now we have Cortez Coleman (former H.I.T. Squad boy!!!), in video 20. It's just a 36sec HL of a loss to Andrew Lima. Not really much to go off here.

VCURamFan 09-23-2012 02:53 PM

This brings us to David Michaud (21-22). 21 he wins by 1st rnd triangle. 22 is a ridiculously grainy & shaky 1st rnd TKO.

Apparently he's a Div 1 wrestler. Had some OK takedowns, decent jits & the killer instinct to turn it on when his opponent looked hurt.