Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   UFC Exploring Major Stadium Show for January 2013 (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9541)

VCURamFan 05-11-2012 07:25 PM

UFC Exploring Major Stadium Show for January 2013
 
From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:

May 3, 2012 - NEW YORK -- With 2012 barely one-third over, the UFC is already looking well into the future, even into the next calendar year. While they can't predict what might happen in fights, it's part of the business to be prepared for any eventuality, and apparently, if one particular scenario plays out, the UFC would produce its second stadium show.

Among the possible locales for the event? The massive Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, along with Toronto's Rogers Centre, the site of the biggest MMA event in North American history, April 2011's UFC 129.

What could necessitate about such a setting? White wouldn't offer specifics, but in the past he has been candid in acknowledging that a major stadium show would need a major main event.

We’ve been talking to [Dallas Cowboys' owner Jerry] Jones and his crew about doing a fight in Dallas' Texas Stadium, but we need a fight that’s big enough to do it," White said on Thursday after the UFC on FOX 3 press conference. "The last fight I was going to try to make there was Brock [Lesnar] and Fedor [Emelianenko].

That fight, of course, never happened after Emelianenko signed with Strikeforce instead of the UFC.

But what kind of superfight could draw upwards of 50,000 fans to a huge complex? Could it be Jon Jones and Anderson Silva? To those questions, White played coy.

"I don't know," he said. "We'll see what happens. We'll see what we end up putting together."

But although he suggested no one was specifically lined up for a major stadium show, it seemed clear he does have something particular in mind. For now we'll have to wait and see if things play out the way he envisioned, otherwise, he said, the show would probably end up in Las Vegas.

JavierDLC 05-11-2012 07:53 PM

I see.... they're already making plans for their Former Middle Weight Champion :)

I guess after Chael beats him again it's common sense for him to move up a weight class and try his luck there.

VCURamFan 05-11-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierDLC (Post 190265)
I see.... they're already making plans for their Former Middle Weight Champion :)

I guess after Chael beats him again it's common sense for him to move up a weight class and try his luck there.

Or maybe they're planning for yet another immediate rematch. :frantics:

Bonnie 05-11-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierDLC (Post 190265)
I see.... they're already making plans for their Former Middle Weight Champion :)

I guess after Chael beats him again it's common sense for him to move up a weight class and try his luck there.

Why would Anderson have to go up (if he beats Chael), I was thinking Jones could come down? And then GSP could come up to MW and fight the winner! :laugh:

I wonder who GSP would fear more, Anderson or Jones? :laugh:

rearnakedchoke 05-11-2012 09:08 PM

gsp vs. anyone .... he already has the largest gate in mma history .... but he'll be about a month fresh off beating condit, so don't think he'll be ready ....

VCURamFan 05-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 190269)
Why would Anderson have to go up (if he beats Chael), I was thinking Jones could come down? And then GSP could come up to MW and fight the winner! :laugh:

I wonder who GSP would fear more, Anderson or Jones? :laugh:

I'd be more scared of a GSP coming up. Jones coming down would be gaunt & drawn out & exhausted from the weight-cut.

Bonnie 05-12-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke (Post 190272)
gsp vs. anyone .... he already has the largest gate in mma history .... but he'll be about a month fresh off beating condit, so don't think he'll be ready ....

Should we just change your initials from rnc to gsp and be done with it?! :tongue0011:

:laugh:

Bonnie 05-12-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 190279)
I'd be more scared of a GSP coming up. Jones coming down would be gaunt & drawn out & exhausted from the weight-cut.

Well, if he does it right... Plus, he would still have his height and reach advantage.

VCURamFan 05-12-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 190292)
Well, if he does it right... Plus, he would still have his height and reach advantage.

Jon walks around at 230-240lbs. For him to cut right, he'd need to be walking around walking around at 200-210. If he were to lose that much weight, he'd look like this:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0908...hill2x_576.jpg

And then this would happen:
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_as...075/c-hill.jpg

rockdawg21 05-12-2012 04:16 AM

Can't wait to see them come to Dallas!!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.