Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tebow to New York (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9330)

VCURamFan 03-21-2012 09:42 PM

Tebow to New York

...maybe

Quote:

After word spread rapidly Wednesday that the New York Jets had acquired quarterback Tim Tebow from Denver for draft picks, the teams have encountered a hang-up in the language in Tebow's contract that could nullify the trade, a Broncos source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

In Tebow's contract is a $6.2 million salary advance, of which $1.2 million already has been paid by Denver, sources told Schefter. The difference of $5 million is still advanced against his future salary, and that burden would shift to the Jets in a trade. The Jets, sources said, believe the Broncos should owe Tebow that money.

The trade, then, will not be finalized until the sides resolve their differences over which should pay the money coming to Tebow.

The teams agreed to the terms of the trade -- the Jets dealt fourth-round and sixth-round selections in 2012 in exchange for Tebow and a 2012 seventh-rounder from Denver -- before the Broncos asked New York to pay back a portion of bonuses and salary already paid to Tebow, sources told Schefter.

One league source said he believes the Broncos-Jets trade will go through. Sources also said that, if the trade falls apart, the St. Louis Rams could be in play for Tebow because the Rams do not have issues with Tebow's contract that New York does.

The same money issues in Tebow's contract also caused complications for Jacksonville trying to complete a trade for Tebow earlier, sources told Schefter.

Tebow, a former first-round pick, went on the trading block Monday when the Broncos secured free agent quarterback Peyton Manning, who signed a five-year, $96 million contract.

The timing of the trade is curious.

Two weeks ago, the Jets gave Sanchez a three-year, $40.5 million contract extension, professing their faith in him even though he regressed in certain areas last season. They signed former Detroit Lions backup Drew Stanton last week to be their No. 2 quarterback, handing him a $500,000 signing bonus. They also have former Alabama star Greg McElroy.

The Jets see Tebow as a change-of-pace player with the ability to run the wildcat offense. They've used the wildcat in recent years, but cut back last season with the departure of Brad Smith. The new offensive coordinator is Tony Sparano, who introduced the wildcat to the NFL as coach of the Miami Dolphins.

J.B. 03-21-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 187684)
...maybe

I think the Broncos tried to pull a fast one and this trade wont happen. Reports now say that Jacksonville is back in the mix.

Bonnie 03-22-2012 04:38 AM

How does this work with contracts that are made with one team that now wants to trade a player to another team? Why shouldn't Denver have to eat that money? Why should another team be responsible for it or agree to pay Denver?

And, why is Denver trading Tebow, why aren't they keeping him? What if something happens to Peyton?

VCURamFan 03-22-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 187695)
How does this work with contracts that are made with one team that now wants to trade a player to another team? Why shouldn't Denver have to eat that money? Why should another team be responsible for it or agree to pay Denver?

And, why is Denver trading Tebow, why aren't they keeping him? What if something happens to Peyton?

The problem is that the type of offense which Tebow needs to excel is completely different than the one that every other quarterback in the league (most especially Peyton Manning) uses. You couldn't just rmove Peyton & plug Tebow in & expect eveything to be fine.

More importantly, though, is that you have to cut Tebow out of Denver because of his fans. Peyton's going to start slow (4 neck surgeries & sitting out a year? Yeah, he's not going to be MVP material out the gate) & the Tebowites (Tebites? Tebowians? whatever) are going to be clamoring for Tebow to replace him. You can't have that. You've got to cut that potential cancer (the fans, not Tebow himself) from the team.

Bonnie 03-22-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 187697)
The problem is that the type of offense which Tebow needs to excel is completely different than the one that every other quarterback in the league (most especially Peyton Manning) uses. You couldn't just rmove Peyton & plug Tebow in & expect eveything to be fine.

More importantly, though, is that you have to cut Tebow out of Denver because of his fans. Peyton's going to start slow (4 neck surgeries & sitting out a year? Yeah, he's not going to be MVP material out the gate) & the Tebowites (Tebites? Tebowians? whatever) are going to be clamoring for Tebow to replace him. You can't have that. You've got to cut that potential cancer (the fans, not Tebow himself) from the team.

I see. Thanks, Ben. :)

You answered my ? about why are they trading Tebow, but what about my question regarding contracts, and Tebow's specifically with this advanced salary business, etc...? For your convenience here it is again: :laugh:

Quote:

J.B. 03-22-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

When a player is traded, his contract is transferred to the new team. Tebow still has 3 years left on his original 5 year rookie contract so when the Jets made the trade they took responsibility for the remaining 3 years. However, it's not uncommon for players to ask for an advance on their salary, and in this case the Broncos gave Tebow an advance of about 5 million dollars that he would have made over the next 3 seasons. In Tebow's case specifically, his contract clearly states that any advance in salary would have to be paid back to the team if he were traded or presumably cut from the team, but that's not always the case for every player. It can be a pretty complex issue to tackle because each player's contract can be structured differently in terms of base salary, guaranteed money, and performance incentives. All the reports I've heard tonight said that the Jets and Broncos came to terms where the Jets are only paying back about 2.5 million, instead the whole 5 million.

This is a bad move for the Jets in my opinion, and it seems to have a sense of being more PR related than anything. That's not to say it can't have a happy ending, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They just gave Mark Sanchez a bunch of guaranteed money, and he already took them to two AFC championships in his first 3 years. Sanchez had a tough season last year, and a lot of Jets fans already want to ship him out of town. Now, the first time Sanchez has a bad or even a mediocre game, it's gonna be Tebowmania all over again just like it was last season with Kyle Orton in Denver. All this talk about running the "wildcat" offense is nonsense because defenses are going to scheme for that, and there has never been a QB who has run his way to the Super Bowl. If there is a silver lining here it will most likely end up being that this actually lights a fire under Mark Sanchez and he steps up his playing. However, if the team starts off slow and "Tebowmania" starts running wild in NYC, it could end up being a major problem in a locker room that was already completely dysfunctional last season.

J.B. 03-22-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 187697)
Peyton's going to start slow (4 neck surgeries & sitting out a year? Yeah, he's not going to be MVP material out the gate)

If there is anybody who could come back from all of that and still look good, it's Peyton Manning. It's definitely not an easy task, but if I were gonna bet money on any one player to bounce right back it would be him. Remember, most of Manning's success can really be attributed to his football IQ and work ethic. So, even if he is only 80% physically, he's still going to be just as sharp as he ever was mentally, and nobody is better at reading defenses on the line of scrimmage than Manning.

Bonnie 03-22-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B. (Post 187708)
When a player is traded, his contract is transferred to the new team. Tebow still has 3 years left on his original 5 year rookie contract so when the Jets made the trade they took responsibility for the remaining 3 years. However, it's not uncommon for players to ask for an advance on their salary, and in this case the Broncos gave Tebow an advance of about 5 million dollars that he would have made over the next 3 seasons. In Tebow's case specifically, his contract clearly states that any advance in salary would have to be paid back to the team if he were traded or presumably cut from the team, but that's not always the case for every player. It can be a pretty complex issue to tackle because each player's contract can be structured differently in terms of base salary, guaranteed money, and performance incentives. All the reports I've heard tonight said that the Jets and Broncos came to terms where the Jets are only paying back about 2.5 million, instead the whole 5 million.

This is a bad move for the Jets in my opinion, and it seems to have a sense of being more PR related than anything. That's not to say it can't have a happy ending, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They just gave Mark Sanchez a bunch of guaranteed money, and he already took them to two AFC championships in his first 3 years. Sanchez had a tough season last year, and a lot of Jets fans already want to ship him out of town. Now, the first time Sanchez has a bad or even a mediocre game, it's gonna be Tebowmania all over again just like it was last season with Kyle Orton in Denver. All this talk about running the "wildcat" offense is nonsense because defenses are going to scheme for that, and there has never been a QB who has run his way to the Super Bowl. If there is a silver lining here it will most likely end up being that this actually lights a fire under Mark Sanchez and he steps up his playing. However, if the team starts off slow and "Tebowmania" starts running wild in NYC, it could end up being a major problem in a locker room that was already completely dysfunctional last season.

Thanks for explaining all that, JB. :)

You don't seem too fond of Tebow, is there a reason why? You don't think he can/will improve, become better, more consistent?

Given what you've said, it will be interesting to see how things play out for the Jets and Sanchez with Tebow added to the mix. I wonder how Tebow feels about everything that's happened since Peyton made his decision.

J.B. 03-22-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 187711)
Thanks for explaining all that, JB. :)

You don't seem too fond of Tebow, is there a reason why? You don't think he can/will improve, become better, more consistent?

Given what you've said, it will be interesting to see how things play out for the Jets and Sanchez with Tebow added to the mix. I wonder how Tebow feels about everything that's happened since Peyton made his decision.

Actually, I really like Tim Tebow. I know that seems like what most people say before they tear into his skills, but I really do genuinely like the guy and have been pulling for him to prove everybody wrong. The thing is, there is just too much focus being put on the guy by the media and fans. It's obviously commonplace for fans and media alike to judge teams based on who is playing QB, and it is the most important position on the field. However, when the Broncos were making their rags to riches run last season they seemed to be winning in spite of Tebow, yet he was the only person getting all the attention. That's not totally Tim's fault, but it's not conducive to a healthy locker-room when you are unproven and the team basically had to change it's entire scheme to a college style offense just to suit you. It's like showing up to a BMX racetrack while riding a Huffy with training wheels and expecting to compete with the big-boys.

I think Tim can improve in some areas, and throwing mechanics are NOT everything in this league. If they were, there are literally tons of QB's who would have been successful but failed in the NFL. So, no matter what somebody thinks of Tebow, nobody can deny that he is worthy of being in the NFL. Tim seems to have a very level head and I'm sure he was disappointed to leave Denver, but I'm also sure that he knows when a player like Peyton Manning comes calling, it's probably best to step aside.

Bella79 03-22-2012 07:07 PM

I have TEBOW fever!!!