Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Christianity (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Christmas Should protestant Christians Celebrate? (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8833)

Chris F 12-10-2011 08:04 PM

Christmas Should protestant Christians Celebrate?
 
So on my Facebook a women has been reaming me saying real Christians should not celebrate it because it is a pagan ritual infused with RCC harlotry etc etc. She sounded like I used to whenever I got into it with some of you all :laugh:. Long story short, sure Christmas is by historical nature a pagan/RCC holiday. But since I doubt any of us worship the tree or the Yule log I serious question this lady's sanity. I think she just hates Catholics and thinks here personal views are gospel. She tried to use scripture but I showed her how she was doing so out of context etc etc.

So my question is should we celebrate yes or no and why yo think that?

NateR 12-10-2011 08:34 PM

If you had asked me this 6-7 years ago, I would have said no; but I think there is far more danger today in Christians turning Christmas into an excuse for materialism and covetousness, rather than getting lured into pagan worship.

I'm sure that if you surveyed Christian children across the US, most of them would believe that Santa Claus is a real person and they would see getting presents as the whole point behind Christmas.

Chris F 12-10-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 180187)
If you had asked me this 6-7 years ago, I would have said no; but I think there is far more danger today in Christians turning Christmas into an excuse for materialism and covetousness, rather than getting lured into pagan worship.

I'm sure that if you surveyed Christian children across the US, most of them would believe that Santa Claus is a real person and they would see getting presents as the whole point behind Christmas.

no doubt. I think secularism is more destructive than Christ-mass and the druid trees etc etc. I personally do not care for all the hoopla, but my wife and kids do. So I let them have a tree etc etc. The debate was stirred over my profile pic that depicts Santa kneeling by baby Jesus in a manger. I see that as a picture of the fact every knee must bow and every tounge confess Jesus is Lord and nothing more. She seems to think because Santa spell Satan and Jeremiah 10:2-5 talks about cutting a tree down the Christmas is for the devil. Not included to all the times she called the RCC the harlot. Paul actually tells us not to dispute such things but she ignored those verses :)

NateR 12-10-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris F (Post 180193)
no doubt. I think secularism is more destructive than Christ-mass and the druid trees etc etc. I personally do not care for all the hoopla, but my wife and kids do. So I let them have a tree etc etc. The debate was stirred over my profile pic that depicts Santa kneeling by baby Jesus in a manger. I see that as a picture of the fact every knee must bow and every tounge confess Jesus is Lord and nothing more. She seems to think because Santa spell Satan and Jeremiah 10:2-5 talks about cutting a tree down the Christmas is for the devil. Not included to all the times she called the RCC the harlot. Paul actually tells us not to dispute such things but she ignored those verses :)

Overall, I consider Christmas to be one of the non-essentials of the faith. The idea of the Virgin Birth is still an essential, but exactly when it happened and whether or not people decide to commemorate it, is really a personal matter.

As for Christian parents who encourage their kids to believe in Santa Claus, I have yet to find a Bible verse that supports intentionally deceiving your children for the first 5-10 years of their lives. So I would really have a hard time believing that it is in any way consistent with Biblical parenting.

Chris F 12-10-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 180198)
Overall, I consider Christmas to be one of the non-essentials of the faith. The idea of the Virgin Birth is still an essential, but exactly when it happened and whether or not people decide to commemorate it, is really a personal matter.

As for Christian parents who encourage their kids to believe in Santa Claus, I have yet to find a Bible verse that supports intentionally deceiving your children for the first 5-10 years of their lives. So I would really have a hard time believing that it is in any way consistent with Biblical parenting.

Yeah I am the same way. we taught our kids the history behind it and that was the extent of it. Why teach the kids not to lie than perpetuate a know lie for years. Tooth fairy Easter bunny, Santa clause

My views have changed since I had kids. I used to not really care much for Christmas. My mom died around that time so really it served more as a heartbreak for me than a joyous time. Even now some 26 years later it still hurts. But now I try to enjoy the time with the kids and we try to turn it into a time to give back

adamt 12-10-2011 11:26 PM

i am completely disgusted with christmas already, all it is anymore is materialism. It started right after halloween, they virtually skipped over thanksgiving just to start selling crap. \

no where in the Word does it tell us to celebrate the birth.

kinda funny tho, that we are still commanded to remember the 'day of atonement', yom kippur, i believe it is, but do christians fast on the day of atonement?...... no they don't


Christmas really is getting to be a secular holiday. I mean some christians will ream you out for standing for the truth, that is that a fat guy does not give you presents.....

but then again, how do you refuse to partake in the secularism of it without being seen as a fruity cultist, I guess you just have to focus on Christ......

Chris F 12-10-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamt (Post 180213)
i am completely disgusted with christmas already, all it is anymore is materialism. It started right after halloween, they virtually skipped over thanksgiving just to start selling crap. \

no where in the Word does it tell us to celebrate the birth.

kinda funny tho, that we are still commanded to remember the 'day of atonement', yom kippur, i believe it is, but do christians fast on the day of atonement?...... no they don't


Christmas really is getting to be a secular holiday. I mean some christians will ream you out for standing for the truth, that is that a fat guy does not give you presents.....

but then again, how do you refuse to partake in the secularism of it without being seen as a fruity cultist, I guess you just have to focus on Christ......

This is sorta why I can careless that they call it a holiday tree instead. Really it has become their holiday now. Let the secularist call it whatever they will. How many churches do you thunk will even hold a service since it is on a Sunday this year? If we are to worship Jesus why would we not hold a service? Hmmmm. You want to really keep teh Christ in Christmas. Stop shopping and if you do give a gift give it to the poor or something lie that. Before I lost my job we gave to a ministry that gives gift to refuges from countries where they would be killed for following Christ. You know what I think that was the best Christmas gift I gave in a long time. Was not much but to them it was. So I Agree man it has become to secular. But I will still use it to worship the greatest gift of all the gift of eternal life through Jesus.

NateR 12-11-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamt (Post 180213)
I mean some christians will ream you out for standing for the truth, that is that a fat guy does not give you presents.....

My brother once got called a bad father because he refused to allow his sons to believe in Santa Claus. That doesn't even make any sense, he's a "bad father" because he chooses to NOT lie to his kids? So those parents who intentionally deceive their children, by telling them that Santa Claus exists, for the first 5-10 years of their lives (even longer if their kids are on the slow side) are good parents? That really just serves to illustrate how twisted and upside down our morals have become in this day and age.

I would even go so far as to say that it is a sin for a parent to teach their children about Santa Claus. A parent who claims to be a Christian and does so ought to be ashamed of themselves and needs to repent of that sin and apologize to their children immediately. Any Christian parent on here who disagrees is free to post a Bible verse that would imply otherwise.

bradwright 12-11-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 180230)
My brother once got called a bad father because he refused to allow his sons to believe in Santa Claus. That doesn't even make any sense, he's a "bad father" because he chooses to NOT lie to his kids? So those parents who intentionally deceive their children, by telling them that Santa Claus exists, for the first 5-10 years of their lives (even longer if their kids are on the slow side) are good parents? That really just serves to illustrate how twisted and upside down our morals have become in this day and age.

I would even go so far as to say that it is a sin for a parent to teach their children about Santa Claus. A parent who claims to be a Christian and does so ought to be ashamed of themselves and needs to repent of that sin and apologize to their children immediately. Any Christian parent on here who disagrees is free to post a Bible verse that would imply otherwise.

so is that how you raise your children ?

oh thats right...you dont have any children.

Neezar 12-11-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 180230)
My brother once got called a bad father because he refused to allow his sons to believe in Santa Claus. That doesn't even make any sense, he's a "bad father" because he chooses to NOT lie to his kids? So those parents who intentionally deceive their children, by telling them that Santa Claus exists, for the first 5-10 years of their lives (even longer if their kids are on the slow side) are good parents? That really just serves to illustrate how twisted and upside down our morals have become in this day and age.

:laugh:


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.