Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training/Nutrition (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Getting Started (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8290)

JavierDLC 07-22-2011 02:17 PM

Getting Started
 
Ok so Im 26 years old Im 5' 7" and on a good day I could weigh up to 135lbs.

I haven't been to a gym in probably almost 3 years. My goal is to gain some muscle and bulk up a little. My question to you guys is how do I get started?
My goal is to be like or at least close to Urijah Fabers body type.(LoL I know im pushing it a little) What should I start doing? How does one just start working out? I mean I weigh the same as he does and I'm about the same height but if you put me next to him I probably look like a Flyweight and he looks like Brock Lesnar! :laugh:

I know a major key is Dieting but How should I start my training.....

County Mike 07-22-2011 02:26 PM

If you want to add muscle, eat a lot of calories (lots of protein, don't be afraid of carbs either) and lift heavy. If you can do 10 reps without a real struggle, add more weight. In my opinion, 6-8 reps is where you want to be. Getting 8 should be difficult. You have to shock your body to make it stronger. After doing your heavy weights, it's OK to lighten and do reps but get your bulk on before you go for high reps.

Work the large muscle groups hard: Chest, Back, Shoulders, legs. Heavy weight with decent rest between sets. Hit each large muscle group about once per week (give at least 3 days rest before hittin the same muscle group. Recovery is important.)

JavierDLC 07-22-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike (Post 172147)
If you want to add muscle, eat a lot of calories (lots of protein, don't be afraid of carbs either) and lift heavy. If you can do 10 reps without a real struggle, add more weight. In my opinion, 6-8 reps is where you want to be. Getting 8 should be difficult. You have to shock your body to make it stronger. After doing your heavy weights, it's OK to lighten and do reps but get your bulk on before you go for high reps.

Work the large muscle groups hard: Chest, Back, Shoulders, legs. Heavy weight with decent rest between sets. Hit each large muscle group about once per week (give at least 3 days rest before hittin the same muscle group. Recovery is important.)

Thank's Mike. So should I try lifting as much as I can from the start? Or should I ease my why into it?

How many 6-8 reps should I do in each Muscle group?

:)

Dethbob 07-22-2011 02:55 PM

If you're just starting out, it will be important to toughen up, especially if you're going to be hitting big weight. I would recommend a running on 'real' surfaces, not treadmill, a couple of miles at a time, three to five miles a week, and mix that with calisthenics, as many different kinds as you can think of, as much as you can stand.

County Mike 07-25-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierDLC (Post 172148)
Thank's Mike. So should I try lifting as much as I can from the start? Or should I ease my why into it?

How many 6-8 reps should I do in each Muscle group?

:)

If you're not sure how much weight to use, it's probably better to guess on the light side. If it's too easy, you know to add weight. After the first week or two you should have a pretty good idea what your 6-8 rep weights are. I usually try to do 4 sets. One warm up set with lighter weight (still only do about 8 reps) followed by 3 heavy sets for each exercise. I would try to do at least 3 exercises per large muscle group.

For example, with chest I would do Incline DB Press, Flat DB Press, Flys.
For back: Lat pull downs with wide grip, pull downs with close grip, Bent over DB rows.
Shoulders: Seated Vertical DB Press, Lateral DB raises, Shrugs
Legs: Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Presses (usually add calf raises as well)

Cardio is still something you want to keep but I wouldn't do long distance running or ultra endurance type stuff. That will hinder muscle growth. It's great for your heart and lungs but not for adding muscle bulk.

You might also want to supplement with creatine. One of the few supplements that really does work.

JavierDLC 07-25-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike (Post 172254)
If you're not sure how much weight to use, it's probably better to guess on the light side. If it's too easy, you know to add weight. After the first week or two you should have a pretty good idea what your 6-8 rep weights are. I usually try to do 4 sets. One warm up set with lighter weight (still only do about 8 reps) followed by 3 heavy sets for each exercise. I would try to do at least 3 exercises per large muscle group.

For example, with chest I would do Incline DB Press, Flat DB Press, Flys.
For back: Lat pull downs with wide grip, pull downs with close grip, Bent over DB rows.
Shoulders: Seated Vertical DB Press, Lateral DB raises, Shrugs
Legs: Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Presses (usually add calf raises as well)

Cardio is still something you want to keep but I wouldn't do long distance running or ultra endurance type stuff. That will hinder muscle growth. It's great for your heart and lungs but not for adding muscle bulk.

You might also want to supplement with creatine. One of the few supplements that really does work.

Thank You Mike!!! :)

This is great Info !!!!
I shall start this week!! :)

rearnakedchoke 07-26-2011 03:22 PM

all good advice .. just cuz urijah looks the way he does, doesn't mean you will .. genetics plays a big part in how you are going to grow and look ... but that just means you may have to work harder than most to pack on the muscle .. but you will get there ...

JavierDLC 07-26-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke (Post 172362)
all good advice .. just cuz urijah looks the way he does, doesn't mean you will .. genetics plays a big part in how you are going to grow and look ... but that just means you may have to work harder than most to pack on the muscle .. but you will get there ...

LoL :laugh: :laugh: I know Bro I just wanted to give so what of an example :wink:


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.