Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Trouble with Quebec (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8223)

Tyburn 07-11-2011 12:04 AM

The Trouble with Quebec
 
...I know we have a few canadians on this forum,...so I was hoping they could explain to me...Why the French Canadians were protesting the Royal Visit?

They call themselves "Separatists"...but what do they wish to separate from? Do they wish to claim independance from Canada...or to convince Canada to break faith with the British Crown :huh:

If its the Former...I wish they'd go protest else where coz their boggle isnt with Britain but Canada...and if its the Latter...Good luck...their the smallest province...and their full of the French (what chance of success do they really have...?):laugh:

rearnakedchoke 07-11-2011 02:08 PM

i am sure there are others that know more than me, but yes, for a while, there is a certain population that would like soverignty for quebec ... they are already very different in their politics, culture etc, but i love the culture and history they bring to canada ... they have had votes and referendums on separating, but never have ... they are far from the smallest province .. they are largest in size and probably second in population .. and rich in history ..

Tyburn 07-11-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke (Post 171506)
i am sure there are others that know more than me, but yes, for a while, there is a certain population that would like soverignty for quebec ... they are already very different in their politics, culture etc, but i love the culture and history they bring to canada ... they have had votes and referendums on separating, but never have ... they are far from the smallest province .. they are largest in size and probably second in population .. and rich in history ..

I was told they were just a very small province in Canada :blink:

Feel free to educate me on what Rich History they bring :laugh: Are they left overs from the French that Sailed to the Defence of the US when it made its bid for Independance...or are they some entirely different set of French people...only...I cant understand why you would have a French Colloney on the East side of Canada unless they were involved in the US War of Independance...but then I cant ever imagine those involved in that War EVER aggreeing to be Canadian if Canada has always been Commonwealth, and hence under the British Crown Technically speaking..Even so, if they were...how come they are not a State from the American Union...for their support was for America as a Colloney of England, not as a North American Continent.

I dont know much about Canada to be honnest...I probably know more about Australia then I do Canada...and I know even less about the French Canadian Side of Canada then the...erm... Non French side :ashamed::laugh: I have heard their cities are very beautiful, I suspect that I would find them most Continental...which in Europe is so common as to be almost looked over...I had that problem with Washington DC...Its a Beautiful City...but terribly Continental. So Continental, it doesnt feel in the slightest bit American...all the Monuments are mock Classical, and the place overrun with tourists...it was VERY strange...and I didnt like it that much for that reason...which is horribly unfair but it felt like I was back in Europe :laugh: Had it not been for the Capitol Building...well...you get the idea :)

rearnakedchoke 07-11-2011 05:03 PM

well, canada has a very strong anglophone, francophone and native history ... which i think has lent itself to being one of the most cultural diverse countries ... i think it is important to keep our french heritage as well as the native heritage ... french is our national language along with english, so yes the history is very important to us .. i guess you could read the canada wiki page and get tons of info ... as for our cities, montreal is more of a european type feel ... when they have the ufc's in montreal you can hear the chants like they do for soccer in europe .. toronto (where i live) is a new city .. there are some older building around, but it's basically a concrete jungle .. very nice though ... and vancouver, on the west side is uber new and growing fast ... will probably take over montreal as the second largest city eventually ...

DonnaMaria 07-11-2011 06:05 PM

The trouble with Quebec is that it is full of Canadians! Duh!!!!:rolleyes::duh:

Sheesh people! It's just that simple!


:duck:

:laugh:

flo 07-11-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaMaria (Post 171537)
The trouble with Quebec is that it is full of Canadians! Duh!!!!:rolleyes::duh:

Sheesh people! It's just that simple!


:duck:

:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

DM, you are too funny! Waiting for rnc in 5...4...3...2...

DonnaMaria 07-11-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flo (Post 171549)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

DM, you are too funny! Waiting for rnc in 5...4...3...2...

Or Dave!

Actually I thought Buzzard was going to post......he was reading this thread.

I kid I kid! I have a lot of respect for Canadians! I love their bacon!

:laugh:Yah!

Tyburn 07-11-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke (Post 171518)
well, canada has a very strong anglophone, francophone and native history ... which i think has lent itself to being one of the most cultural diverse countries ... i think it is important to keep our french heritage as well as the native heritage ... french is our national language along with english, so yes the history is very important to us .. i guess you could read the canada wiki page and get tons of info ... as for our cities, montreal is more of a european type feel ... when they have the ufc's in montreal you can hear the chants like they do for soccer in europe .. toronto (where i live) is a new city .. there are some older building around, but it's basically a concrete jungle .. very nice though ... and vancouver, on the west side is uber new and growing fast ... will probably take over montreal as the second largest city eventually ...

Yes...there is always Wikipedia to help me :laugh:

but sometimes its nice to hear it from a local...someone who actually knows...rather then just read a sheet :ashamed:

rearnakedchoke 07-11-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaMaria (Post 171537)
The trouble with Quebec is that it is full of Canadians! Duh!!!!:rolleyes::duh:

Sheesh people! It's just that simple!


:duck:

:laugh:

how dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha .. that is good, although some quebecois wouldn't consider themselves canadians ... but than again, a lot of canadians wouldn't consider torontonians canadians .. LOL .. weird ...

rearnakedchoke 07-11-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn (Post 171553)
Yes...there is always Wikipedia to help me :laugh:

but sometimes its nice to hear it from a local...someone who actually knows...rather then just read a sheet :ashamed:

no .. not that i don't wanna sit here and tell you, but i am sure i would miss a bunch of stuff ... do a google search on the FLQ ... that was before my time, but was some crazy times in canadian history ...


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.