Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lyoto Machida reinvents himself (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803)

Hughes_GOAT 03-12-2009 05:29 PM

Lyoto Machida reinvents himself
 
this is before his Silva fight btw

The other day, Dana White called out Lyoto Machida as possibly the next in line to be "best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA" after Anderson Silva retires. After reading this interview by our pal Ben Zeidler, we wonder if White told Machida that such hype comes with a price he has to start pretending like he has a personality. In the past, Machida has given interviews like he fights; no frills, accomplish your objective and move on. Now, things are getting a bit more colorful:

BZ: Is there anyone other than Thiago Silva that you would like to face?
LM: Give me the job and I will get it done. Rampage, Couture, Liddell, Vanderlei, Shogun, I work hard to win and will keep winning. Who thought they would see Tito with his back on the floor? Tito is a Great fighter but when he faced me, Lyoto, you know the ending.

BZ: Tell us a little bit more about your training regimens.
LM: My training is very versatile. My life is training, I just make some adaptations for each opponent. They need to worry about me. Look at my past, when I finish the fight I go dinner and have some fun and the other fighters go to the hospital.

BZ: What do you say to fans who say your style is boring?
LM: I am a martial artist, there is a lot of thought and strategy that goes into the way I fight...For some that is boring, I know, but I am beating the best in the world. After my fights I do not have nothing on my face, no scratches, no bruises. I am like a ghost they can not find me. If that is boring, that is their opinion. But I will be there for long time WINNING.

Zeidler notes that the interview was done through a translator. Unless that translator was Renato Sobral, it sounds like Machida may be trying to change his persona into something more brash. Not a heel necessarily, but cocky an unkinder, ungentler version of his former self. Will some of that attitude transfer to the cage? An aggressive performance against Thiago Silva at UFC 94 next month could bolster his case as next in line for a title shot if he can score a stoppage victory.

Moose 03-12-2009 05:34 PM

All I want to know is where he gets a cup and jock large enough to fit Goat inside. Surely you weigh him down a bit :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT 03-12-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose
All I want to know is where he gets a cup and jock large enough to fit Goat inside. Surely you weigh him down a bit :laugh:

imagine how good he could be if i wasn't weighing him down :wink:

Moose 03-12-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
imagine how good he could be if i wasn't weighing him down :wink:

He would be a ghost.

Hughes_GOAT 03-12-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose
He would be a ghost.

he already is....didn't you read what he said?

i was thinking more along the lines of Fedor

Llamafighter 03-12-2009 06:16 PM

Good post. I think he's a very humble person. he's just confident.

rockdawg21 03-12-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
BZ: Is there anyone other than Thiago Silva that you would like to face?
LM: Give me the job and I will get it done. Rampage, Couture, Liddell, Vanderlei, Shogun, I work hard to win and will keep winning. Who thought they would see Tito with his back on the floor? Tito is a Great fighter but when he faced me, Lyoto, you know the ending.

I like Lyoto's confidence, but he better be thanking God the bell rung when Tito was on his back. Lyoto was finished with that triangle choke, but *ding ding ding*. Nonetheless, it's part of the sport and if Lyoto fights everybody else the way he did against Silva (aggressively), I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching him for many years to come.

rearnakedchoke 03-12-2009 08:56 PM

to me, his talk is nothing different than BJ .. if you think BJ is a jerk, you have to think this tool is a jerk .. which he is .. beating the best in the world??? since when? reality will sink in in may ...

Blmfighter 03-12-2009 08:57 PM

He was not finished by that choke. He got out of it before the bell rang.

Llamafighter 03-12-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
to me, his talk is nothing different than BJ .. if you think BJ is a jerk, you have to think this tool is a jerk .. which he is .. beating the best in the world??? since when? reality will sink in in may ...

You better put lots of your favorite condiment on those words cause it's going to be Bon Appetite after that fight! :laugh:


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.