Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training/Nutrition (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dieting? (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7873)

ufcfan2 05-19-2011 01:10 AM

Dieting?

Hello,
I was looking to start dieting for the first time in my existance and havent the foggiest on what or how to go about it. There seems to be alot of different diets to do,low car,low calore,low fat etc....
I currently weight bout 207,and I'm not so worried how much I weigh,just excess fat.I do excercies 2-3x a week,and do kickboxing 2-3x as well. I guess at point where Im tired of not seeing results 99% of its bad eating habits.. I know I probably eat too much breads,maybe to much processed meats,soda,and sweets..
Any pointers would be appreciated..

County Mike 05-19-2011 02:28 AM

I don't believe in any specific diets. The common sense eating lifestyle is what I subscribe to. You know what's bad for you. The trick is to avoid the temptation. Low carbs is a good idea but don't cut them out. Especially if you're working out a lot. You need carbs to fuel a good workout.

Most of the time, eat what you know is healthy. An occasional treat isn't bad, just don't eat junk all the time.

I do recommend to cut out the soda completely. That has a lot of calories and zero nutrition. Diet soda is even worse because artificial sweeteners are low-dose poison.

Good luck with it.

que 05-19-2011 04:19 AM

Here is the equation.

Make sure your daily total amount of input calories is > your daily total of calories you burn.

If you are a 20 year old 207 lb male for example, you should be eating around no more than 1600-2000 calories per day if you want to lose weight. If you want to lose weight faster than eat 1400 - 1600 calories a day and add exercise. Do not eat less than 1400 because your body will go into starvation mode from lack of calories and you will gain weight as your body starts storing all the fat because it thinks you are starving

atomdanger 05-19-2011 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike (Post 166665)
I don't believe in any specific diets. The common sense eating lifestyle is what I subscribe to. You know what's bad for you. The trick is to avoid the temptation. Low carbs is a good idea but don't cut them out. Especially if you're working out a lot. You need carbs to fuel a good workout.

Most of the time, eat what you know is healthy. An occasional treat isn't bad, just don't eat junk all the time.

I do recommend to cut out the soda completely. That has a lot of calories and zero nutrition. Diet soda is even worse because artificial sweeteners are low-dose poison.

Good luck with it.

This, just eat CLEAN.

Dethbob 05-19-2011 12:58 PM

Eating a clean balanced diet and working out are good for health reasons, and plenty of sleep and hydration are also good, but the only thing that has really worked for me or anyone Iíve ever heard of is the Rush Limbaugh diet:

EAT

LESS

FOOD!

All the diet tricks in the world only help a little, but to lose real weight and keep it off you have to consistently eat fewer calories than you use.

ufcfan2 05-19-2011 09:52 PM

Ya,my biggest culprit is soda and eating out alot. I eat okay at work usually chicken/fish/turkey with my favs;broccli-calliflower or green beans. I may only eat once or twice at work then eat when I get home and maybe a small snack later...
So,if I can cut down on my sweets and soda that would be half the battle I think. If I can avoid the fries,soda,and other stuff if I do eat out it should be better.

*side note carbs are good for energy,so before I work out(kickbox as well) is eating stuff high in carbs better or eating like a protein bar better and how far ahead of work out should this be....as of now I tend to eat a peanut butter sandwhich w/and apple plus water,but I still find myself gassing quick(though some is probably my sinus/allergies affecting my breathing).

County Mike 05-20-2011 11:06 AM

You need carbs and protein before a strenuous workout. Extra proten after to rebuild the muscle you just broke down. How long before the workout is debatable. Some people say 24 hours, 12 hours, etc. but for me just a couple hours prior seems to work best. I suggest you experiment a little and see what works best for you.

rockdawg21 05-20-2011 11:51 AM

This is what I did in early 2006. If I'm cutting, I still follow the same principles except that I do heavy lifting (8 reps or less) rather than the "bodybuilding range" (12 reps or less).

All the diet math is there (just apply it to your size), sample meals, "yes" foods, the actual workouts I'd done, and ideas for motivation. Should serve as a good guide.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/brett_fitzgerald.htm

Weight loss/weight gain is basically nothing more than finding your maintenance calories (the amount of calories you should consume to maintain the same weight) and subtracting about 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound over the course of the week and adding 500 a day to gain 1 pound over the course of the week. Now getting the right amount of proper food intake from your protein, carbs, and fats as well as the training will ultimately determine if you're going to lose mostly fat or mostly muscle (or both) or gain mostly fat or mostly muscle (it's always both unless you're just VERY fortunate). I'm using the example of 500 calories because 1 pound is a very safe speed with which to lose/gain weight as it seems to make it more permanent compared to rapid losses and gains. The diet math in the article should work fine for you as it has thousands of people (same program as the fatloss program on www.skinnyguy.net).

Good luck!