Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Some good could come from Yves Lavigne late stopage (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774)

TheConcretekid 03-10-2009 10:51 PM

Some good could come from Yves Lavigne late stopage

CagePotato:

Quote:

The way the fight unfolded and the criticism of Lavigne that has followed should make us think back to the questionable Koscheck/Thiago stoppage, just so we can remember why it might be a bad idea for referees to wait until a guy is completely unconscious before stopping the fight.

The link has the video.

It was 'stopped' initially at 0:29, this is similar to the Koscheck knock down/out. He was knocked silly, then kinda rolled into guard.

The fight gets re-started and Sell literally staggers to his feet.

0:40-0:50 Brown unleashes some insane knees, drops Sell, and then rains down about 15 devastating unanswered, undefended blows; elbows to the temple and HUGE hooks directly to the face. The fight should have been stopped again here, Sell was given a second chance/time to recover/defend himself.

Body shots, take down defense and guillotine attempt until 1:20

HUGE elbows and HUGE knees. Brown give Yves the "Cmon man" look. Instant #3 of when the fight should have ended.

1:30 Sell gets loose and Brown, walking forwards, gives him a grazing kick to the face and a few solid punches, give Yves the look again. #4.

1:40 Head kick, goes for the tie-up, Sell falls to his back. WTF look. Sell clearly not in the fight and Brown clearly not trying to hurt him any more. #5.

1:45 Brown literally stands over him and lazily tosses some shots to the face. Yves steps in and ends it. As Brown walks away Sell is still trying to secure a take down.

Cage Potato reports that Sell is out of the hospital and doing fine. But this could have been real bad, for Sell, the UFC and for MMA.

I'd rather see a Kos/Thiago than a Sell/Brown anytime.

SteveT 03-10-2009 11:59 PM

I didn't see the fight, but I heard that Dana White went into the cage immediately following the fight and pulled Yves Lavigne out of the cage. Any truth to the story?

Hughes_GOAT 03-11-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveT
I didn't see the fight, but I heard that Dana White went into the cage immediately following the fight and pulled Yves Lavigne out of the cage. Any truth to the story?

probably not since he has no say on the refs. he was mad at him though.

Jason 16 03-11-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
CagePotato:

I'd rather see a Kos/Thiago than a Sell/Brown anytime.

yea but they are two extremes of it . sell/brown was just short of murder and kos/thiago would have it hurt to let thiago attack kos just long enough to see if kos was still in it

Tyburn 03-12-2009 02:04 AM

is the good news that Pete Sell is retireing...:huh: