Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why no Sub of the Night at 96??? (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769)

Llamafighter 03-10-2009 03:31 PM

Why no Sub of the Night at 96???

Based on the telecast it appeared that Madigan tapped out due to strikes. I believe that Rogan even pointed it out in the replay. This is technically a submission, right? So why wasn't Tamden awarded Sub of the night?

Champ2be 03-10-2009 03:50 PM

When they mean submission they are referring to BJJ. What you are refering to is more of a TKO

rockdawg21 03-10-2009 03:51 PM

Tapping to strikes isn't a submission. Tapping due to chocke, arm locks, leg locks, etc. are submissions.

TheConcretekid 03-10-2009 04:16 PM

I thought I remembered seeing cases where someone tapped (or verbally submitted) to strikes and it was ruled a submission. And if the ref steps in, then its ruled a TKO.

IMO, if you give up (be it verbally or by taps) it should be ruled a submission. The ref is declaring that you are OK to continue fighting (he hasn't stepped in) and you are giving up, you are submitting to your opponent.

Hughes_GOAT 03-10-2009 04:28 PM

because Maia wasn't fighting

Llamafighter 03-10-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

rockdawg21 Tapping to strikes isn't a submission. Tapping due to chocke, arm locks, leg locks, etc. are submissions.
Today 11:50 AM
Champ2be When they mean submission they are referring to BJJ. What you are refering to is more of a TKO
I think if someone "Submits" by tapping it should be ruled a submission and therefore eligible for submission of the night.

It's still submitting because you're in a situation you cannot get out of.

County Mike 03-10-2009 05:36 PM

No love for the barncat. I hope McRory does really well in the UFC. He's another East Coaster that used to fight in the CFFC here in Atlantic City.

Llamafighter 03-10-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike
No love for the barncat. I hope McRory does really well in the UFC. He's another East Coaster that used to fight in the CFFC here in Atlantic City.

Do you agree it should have been sub of the night based on the fact that Madigan tapped?

What did they rule Serra GSP 1? he tapped to strikes, right?

TheConcretekid 03-10-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llamafighter
What did they rule Serra GSP 1? he tapped to strikes, right?

That was ruled a TKO, erroneously in my opinion

Llamafighter 03-10-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
That was ruled a TKO, erroneously in my opinion

Hmmm
I know I've seen the term "submitted (strikes)"
I'll have to look at how Pride used to rule things.

Sherdog shows
Fedor defeating Zulu via submission (strikes)
Mirko defeating Barnett subission (strikes)
I knew I'd seen it somewhere