Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   B.J. Penn: 'Teammates Have to Fight Each Other' (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7638)

VCURamFan 04-26-2011 02:57 PM

B.J. Penn: 'Teammates Have to Fight Each Other'
 
From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.mmafighti...ennweighin.jpg

If you're a UFC fighter who's unhappy about being pressured into fighting your friends and teammates, don't come crying to B.J. Penn.

The former UFC welterweight and lightweight champion said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that it's all part of the game, and fighters should plan accordingly.

"I think teammates have to fight each other, and I knew that the whole time," Penn said. "That's why I would always distance myself. Of course they have to. I always thought it was B.S. that [Josh] Koscheck and [Jon] Fitch wouldn't have to fight, but they can just keep taking turns going for title shots, but they never had to fight each other? That doesn't make sense."

As Penn told Ariel Helwani on Monday's show, that's part of the reason why he chooses to do his training camps in Hawaii, far away from the more established gyms on the mainland where potential future opponents train.

"You know why I never went to any of these places and trained? Because it's the same thing that you see with guys like Rashad Evans and Jon Jones. Now there's a big problem because of that. That's why I always kept my distance from anyone. I had a thousand chances to go train with Jon Fitch, but I knew I'm probably going to fight this guy one day, so let's be friends when we're done fighting."

Of course, Penn's disdain wasn't limited to the teammates who refuse to fight each other. He also had some choice words for the fighters he suspects of using performance-enhancing substances, not that he's ever been shy about calling them out in public.

"I always complained about the steroids and stuff, but really I look back on it and I can beat all these guys even if they're on steroids," Penn said. "I just like to tease them. ...I would love to see more of the guys get busted, but there's really nothing you can do about that stuff, I guess."

JavierDLC 04-26-2011 03:41 PM

"I always complained about the steroids and stuff, but really I look back on it and I can beat all these guys even if they're on steroids," Penn said. "I just like to tease them. ...I would love to see more of the guys get busted, but there's really nothing you can do about that stuff, I guess."


:happydancing: :laugh: :happydancing:

Miss Foxy 04-26-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierDLC (Post 163026)
"I always complained about the steroids and stuff, but really I look back on it and I can beat all these guys even if they're on steroids," Penn said. "I just like to tease them. ...I would love to see more of the guys get busted, but there's really nothing you can do about that stuff, I guess."


:happydancing: :laugh: :happydancing:

:angry:

Miss Foxy 04-26-2011 06:31 PM

That's the problem for UFC WW division if Diaz ever comes over.. You got him, Nate, and Jake.. :frantics:

VCURamFan 04-26-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Foxy (Post 163048)
That's the problem for UFC WW division if Diaz ever comes over.. You got him, Nate, and Jake.. :frantics:

No biggie: Nate drops back to LW & Nick steps up to MW where he can STOP RUNNING FROM MAYHEM! :tongue0011: (I kid, I kid)

Miss Foxy 04-26-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 163050)
No biggie: Nate drops back to LW & Nick steps up to MW where he can STOP RUNNING FROM MAYHEM! :tongue0011: (I kid, I kid)

Lol.. :laugh:

rearnakedchoke 04-26-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Foxy (Post 163048)
That's the problem for UFC WW division if Diaz ever comes over.. You got him, Nate, and Jake.. :frantics:

nick can't hack it in the ufc, nate will never get a title shot and jake is on his way back to MW .. BJ is sorta right ... you need good guys at your weight class to train with ... guys that can push you, yeah you can have bigger guys, but still you need good guys that you can get a fee for the division ... i still think regardless of who you train with, you also need to fight whoever is put in front of you ...

bj44 04-26-2011 07:05 PM

i remember matt wouldnt fight Rich after tuf 2 back in the day... No one here would ever critisize him for not fighting a friend... Its a severe inconvenience to fight a friend and you dont see the best that person has to offer in such a fight!!!e

Miss Foxy 04-26-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke (Post 163055)
nick can't hack it in the ufc, nate will never get a title shot and jake is on his way back to MW .. BJ is sorta right ... you need good guys at your weight class to train with ... guys that can push you, yeah you can have bigger guys, but still you need good guys that you can get a fee for the division ... i still think regardless of who you train with, you also need to fight whoever is put in front of you ...

Mark my words.. Your gonna eat crow real soon..

rearnakedchoke 04-26-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj44 (Post 163058)
i remember matt wouldnt fight Rich after tuf 2 back in the day... No one here would ever critisize him for not fighting a friend... Its a severe inconvenience to fight a friend and you dont see the best that person has to offer in such a fight!!!e

yeah, but they were in two different weight classes .... Bj is right in a sense that kos and fitch won't fight each other and it sorta makes it unfair .. i hope dana makes those two fight ... it's lining up perfectly ...


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.