Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training/Nutrition (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   peak heart rates (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7435)

Tyburn 04-01-2011 09:14 PM

peak heart rates

...can anyone explain to me what exactly this is...is it how fast the heart rate is when you exercise the most or what...and what is deemed as good...a high or low rate?? and is recovery between base rate and peak rate important??

I only ask coz i've just discovered what its all about...and shocked myself last week if the instruments are correct :blink:

rockdawg21 04-02-2011 07:05 PM

Peak heart rates (MHR - Max Heart Rate) is a measure of how many BPM (beats per minute) your heart can withstand before going into cardiac arrest. Theoretically calculated value for MHR is:

MHR = 220 - your age, thus, if you are 30, then 220 - 30 = 190bpm = your MHR.

This however, is as, I mentioned, THEORETICAL. It is completely possible to go past this with proper conditioning. Mine is calculated at 189 and I consistently exceed 195 for several minutes when I do cardio, even on restricted oxygen (nose plugged and wearing a dual mouthpiece). I've had it as high as 203.

Before I go any further, do you have some sort of goal in mind, such as fat loss, fight conditioning, etc.?

Tyburn 04-06-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdawg21 (Post 160410)
I consistently exceed 195 for several minutes when I do cardio, even on restricted oxygen (nose plugged and wearing a dual mouthpiece). I've had it as high as 203.

I was just making sure 161 wasnt unusual :unsure-1: thats what I am usually in the gym :)

rockdawg21 04-07-2011 01:46 AM

161 is a good cardio rate. If you can hold that for a good 45-60 minutes, you're getting a really good workout. Just remember, just like weight lifting, your body will become conditioned to that and could peak, so keep making changes. Some simple things are increasing your resistance, adding intervals, shortening the time and going for a higher AHR (average heart rate), etc. Always look to improve each time you do cardio to prevent a plateau.

Keep it up Dave, that's a good accomplishment!

County Mike 04-07-2011 11:50 AM

My resting heart rate is around 50bpm. Getting it above 150 is tough for me. No idea if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Neezar 04-07-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike (Post 161093)
My resting heart rate is around 50bpm. Getting it above 150 is tough for me. No idea if that's a good thing or bad thing.

The resting heart rate is good if it is because of cardio/exercise. If it is because of a heart defect then your screwed. :unsure-1:

:laugh: Sorry. :unsure: Sick humor.

TexasRN 04-07-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neezar (Post 161103)
The resting heart rate is good if it is because of cardio/exercise. If it is because of a heart defect then your screwed. :unsure-1:

:laugh: I thought the same thing!

~Amy

Tyburn 04-07-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neezar (Post 161103)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Miss Foxy 04-07-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn (Post 161192)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn have you had a physical lately? It's a good idea so the doctor can give you the thumbs up so you don't hurt yourself..

rockdawg21 04-07-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Foxy (Post 161197)
Tyburn have you had a physical lately? It's a good idea so the doctor can give you the thumbs up so you don't hurt yourself..

Yeah Dave
http://rlv.zcache.com/isapi/designal...&view_auto=1.4