Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Christianity (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A Dollar I Gave to God (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675)

VCURamFan 03-04-2009 08:57 PM

A Dollar I Gave to God

I had inherited my great-grandfather's copy of Devotions & Prayers of John Calvin and I was flipping through it today. If found this poem in between a couple of the pages:

Three thousand for my brand new car,
Five thousand for a piece of sod.
Ten thousand paid to being a house.
A dollar I gave to God.
A tidy sum to entertain
My friends in pointless chatter,
And when the world goes crazy mad,
Iask: "Lord, what's the matter?"
Yet there is one big question,
For the answer I will search;
With things so bad in this old world,
"What's holding back my church?"
- Wellington Place Baptist

Chris F 03-05-2009 12:29 AM

So true!!!!

Josh 03-08-2009 05:52 AM

That is a great book too. You should read that thing.

Tyburn 03-09-2009 02:41 AM

Good point :ninja:

Neezar 03-09-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh

:laugh:

VCURamFan 03-10-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh

I'm reading through it for private worship each day. It's soo good. Plus, every now & then I come across a hand-written note in the margins that my great-grandfather made. It tends to make me really nostalgic because he & I had a really great relationship while I was growing up. About 2-3 times a week I'd run down to his house (their backyard butted right up against ours) and we'd just sit at their kitchen table & eat vanilla wafers with peanut butter on them. Then for lunch we'd have chicken & dumplings. Then I'd go in their living room, pick out a record, put it on the record player & we'd dance. I'd just be jumpig around wildly, but Grandma & Grandpa would hold each other & slow dance. I really miss them.:cry:

Josh 03-23-2009 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I'm reading through it for private worship each day. It's soo good. Plus, every now & then I come across a hand-written note in the margins that my great-grandfather made. It tends to make me really nostalgic because he & I had a really great relationship while I was growing up. About 2-3 times a week I'd run down to his house (their backyard butted right up against ours) and we'd just sit at their kitchen table & eat vanilla wafers with peanut butter on them. Then for lunch we'd have chicken & dumplings. Then I'd go in their living room, pick out a record, put it on the record player & we'd dance. I'd just be jumpig around wildly, but Grandma & Grandpa would hold each other & slow dance. I really miss them.:cry:

They sound really great. I am sure he would be happy to know that he left you something that is enriching your relationship with Christ.