Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Kimbo Slice to make pro boxing debut (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5954)

rockdawg21 08-27-2010 01:50 PM

Kimbo Slice to make pro boxing debut

I wish Kimbo all the best, but I think Gary Shaw is a little overly optimistic about Slice's skill set.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content8298.html

Quote:

I'm gonna be a problem in the heavyweight division. I'm going to be coming in with a bad demeanor. I want to see what it's like to break some ribs, break a jaw with one punch,' stated former UFC heavyweight Kimbo Slice, who officially announced his intention to make his professional debut as a boxer. After weeks of negotiations, promoter Gary Shaw, who previously worked with Slice when he made his mixed martial arts debut with the now-defunct EliteXC organization, finally convinced the former YouTube sensation to test his striking skills in the sweet science.

"He could easily be at the same level as guys the Klitschkos have been fighting," Shaw would tell Michaael Woods of ESPN New York. "Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's coming to boxing too late, but I don't think so. He's not a beaten-up athlete. He's a natural, with that bob and weave like Mike Tyson," he added, drawing comparisons to the style, raw aggression and aura of Mike Tyson, who was once considered to be one of the most feared fighters in the heavyweight division. It's doubtful that Slice will carry that same mystique that Tyson once had, especially considering that he was already stopped twice in his 6-fight MMA career, however, if matched correctly, he can certainly provide some fireworks to a division that is sorely lacking in excitement.

"This is a career move," Slice would explain. "I love fighting. I like to knock people the **** out. I love engaging. Maybe some people think I'm crazy." Although no official date has been set for Slice's professional boxing debut, Shaw suggested that his first bout would likely come some time towards the end of this year. "These fighters these days, they're complacent, lazy. I'm hungry," Slice added.

J.B. 08-27-2010 01:55 PM

Guys like Samuel Peter, Shannon Briggs, Eddie Chambers. or Chris Arreola would destroy and embarrass Kimbo and Shaw knows it. Gary is just tossing Kimbo to the wolves to make another quick buck off the guy.

rockdawg21 08-27-2010 01:58 PM

Yeah, it's like all the YouTube idiots who were calling for Brock to get killed by Kimbo, then he got KOed by Petruzelli and it was like, "what now idiots." I knew Seth would win that fight, but not THAT easily. A trained U.S. karate champion against a backyard brawler is easy to pick who's going to win. The same will happen when Kimbo faces a trained boxer.

J.B. 08-27-2010 02:03 PM

If Kimbo has such promise as a Boxer then why did he have to immediately shoot in on a 50 year old Ray Mercer?

Oh, thats right, because he would have gotten that beard knocked clean off his face if he tries to stand a bang with the big boys.

rockdawg21 08-27-2010 02:10 PM

LOL, not to mention, completely NOT engage in a slug fest with the guy? He went straight for the guillotine choke. Slick move as Mercer wasn't expecting it, but still, proved he didn't want anything to do with fighting Mercer.

J.B. 08-27-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdawg21 (Post 133041)
LOL, not to mention, completely NOT engage in a slug fest with the guy? He went straight for the guillotine choke. Slick move as Mercer wasn't expecting it, but still, proved he didn't want anything to do with fighting Mercer.

To be fair, Kimbo was just doing what Bas told him to do to win the fight.

My point really was just that this guy has no place in a Boxing ring with any of the guys on the highest level. Shaw should be ashamed for even putting Kimbo in the same sentence with the name "Klitschko".

rearnakedchoke 08-27-2010 02:27 PM

hopefully he can make a few bucks before he gets figured out ... i can just see the headlines next year ..

Kimbo making K1 debut ... Thinks he can take Badihari

J.B. 08-27-2010 02:29 PM

Ohhh, I like this game...let's keep it going....

Kimbo making pro-basketball debut....Vows to dunk on Lebron.

J.B. 08-27-2010 02:35 PM

Kimbo can beat both the Williams sisters at the same time in Tennis

Kimbo can swim faster than Michael Phelps

Kimbo would rush for 3,000 yards as a rookie running back

Kimbo's debut album will outsell Thriller

If Kimbo wrote a book it would win him the Nobel Prize.

rearnakedchoke 08-27-2010 03:07 PM

Kimbo challenges Boris Spasky to epic chess match

Kimbo enters PGA ... vows number one ranking