Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   George Steinbrenner passes away... (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5619)

J.B. 07-13-2010 02:15 PM

George Steinbrenner passes away...
 
This is just coming out like 5 minutes ago...

Wow...

Quote:

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum, Ap Sports Writer 3 mins ago

NEW YORK The Yankees say owner George Steinbrenner has died. He was 80.

Spokesman Howard Rubenstein said he died Tuesday morning. He had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not disclosed those details.

Steinbrenner, who celebrated his birthday July 4, had been in fragile health for several years.

Flags were immediately lowered to half-staff at Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees' spring training complex. The Yankees says many employees there were in tears.

The death comes two days after the team's beloved public-address announcer Bob Sheppard died at 99.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bbo_obit_steinbrenner

VCURamFan 07-13-2010 04:02 PM

I just read that & was coming to post it. Shocking.

MattHughesRocks 07-13-2010 04:51 PM

He was 80, what's shocking? :unsure-1:

RIP.I'll be wearing my Yankees hat today.

flo 07-13-2010 07:52 PM

RIP, George.

I admired what he accomplished with the Yankees, he insisted on personal discipline and a great work ethic; no wonder they were contenders year after year. Just look at Johnny Damon's transformation after he left Boston. :)

He kept the Yankees a great tradition. My sympathies are with his family today and I think George would be fine with passing away during the All-Star game.

J.B. 07-13-2010 08:05 PM

Colin Cowherd said it best today when he said that George had done something that is RARELY seen in American business....

He took the BEST brand...and he made it BETTER.

It would be like Bill Gates dying, and some other guy coming in and making Microsoft BETTER than what is it today. It's nuts, but that's what Steinbrenner did. He really didn't give a f**k. He bought the best team he could every year, and he changed the landscape of baseball.

Wow....80 years old...

He lived "The American Dream". :cool:

flo 07-13-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B. (Post 125353)
Colin Cowherd said it best today when he said that George had done something that is RARELY seen in American business....

He took the BEST brand...and he made it BETTER.

It would be like Bill Gates dying, and some other guy coming in and making Microsoft BETTER than what is it today. It's nuts, but that's what Steinbrenner did. He really didn't give a f**k. He bought the best team he could every year, and he changed the landscape of baseball.

Wow....80 years old...

He lived "The American Dream". :cool:

+++

SteveT 07-13-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B. (Post 125353)
Colin Cowherd said it best today when he said that George had done something that is RARELY seen in American business....

He took the BEST brand...and he made it BETTER.

It would be like Bill Gates dying, and some other guy coming in and making Microsoft BETTER than what is it today. It's nuts, but that's what Steinbrenner did. He really didn't give a f**k. He bought the best team he could every year, and he changed the landscape of baseball.

Wow....80 years old...

He lived "The American Dream". :cool:

That's for sure. I know there are a lot of Yankee haters out there..especially if you live in a city that's in the same conference as the Yankees...but no matter who you are, if you know anything about baseball then you have to respect Mr. Steinbrenner and what he did what that team. He is one of the most distinguished and well known owners of any professional sports team.

J.B. 07-13-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveT (Post 125430)
That's for sure. I know there are a lot of Yankee haters out there..especially if you live in a city that's in the same conference as the Yankees...but no matter who you are, if you know anything about baseball then you have to respect Mr. Steinbrenner and what he did what that team. He is one of the most distinguished and well known owners of any professional sports team.

I hear ya man...

Send one back for the man who did so much for American sports....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRaM7AFMA

New York haters will stand tall....

SteveT 07-13-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B. (Post 125437)
I hear ya man...

Send one back for the man who did so much for American sports....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRaM7AFMA

New York haters will stand tall....

He definitely spoke his mind and expected nothing but the best from his team, his players, his coaches and everyone else within the organization and if you weren't giving it your all then you better have packed your bags..

on a side note..I just noticed that I said conference...meant to say division...my mistake on that one!!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.