Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   MMA (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Silly Question about "Gi" (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524)

Tyburn 02-23-2009 01:17 AM

Silly Question about "Gi"
 
:ashamed:

I was wondering if the different colours of Gi actually mean anything, or are just for aesthetic purpose. I mean, the Belt Colours symbolise rank, but I've seen different coloured Gi aswell...I wonder if they symbolise anything...Everyone has seen white...but I've seen a sorta brownish/black, a verrrrrra dark green and a blue one also.

Are these reflective of different Martial Arts? or also used in conjunction with rank?

or are they just to make the fighter look...er...more colourful.

Sorry for the dumbass question...but when I asked Jeff Curran he never answered me :unsure-1:

:laugh:

Llamafighter 02-23-2009 01:22 AM

Belt is the only thing that tells rank. some guys and gals put patches of the different tournaments they've participated in.

VCURamFan 02-23-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
:ashamed:

I was wondering if the different colours of Gi actually mean anything, or are just for aesthetic purpose. I mean, the Belt Colours symbolise rank, but I've seen different coloured Gi aswell...I wonder if they symbolise anything...Everyone has seen white...but I've seen a sorta brownish/black, a verrrrrra dark green and a blue one also.

Are these reflective of different Martial Arts? or also used in conjunction with rank?

or are they just to make the fighter look...er...more colourful.

Sorry for the dumbass question...but when I asked Jeff Curran he never answered me :unsure-1:

:laugh:

Man, what a stupid question! This is almost as dumb as asking what "Southpaw" means!! What a friggin' n00b!!!!:punch:

:blink:

:laugh: :wink:

Tyburn 02-23-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Man, what a stupid question! This is almost as dumb as asking what "Southpaw" means!! What a friggin' n00b!!!!:punch:

:blink:

:laugh: :wink:

I wondered if it was a foolish question when I asked it in Public on another site and noone was quick to answer....It was like one of those cyber pauses, where everyone was like *pause, look around, continue as if he aint said nowt*

:laugh:

still better that then the infamouse Sherdog Faux Pas "what does Southpaw mean" :unsure-1:

Tyburn 02-23-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Belt is the only thing that tells rank. some guys and gals put patches of the different tournaments they've participated in.

So...you think the different coloured Gi...and I dont mean patchwork, I mean the whole garment coloured differently is just....aesthetic preference?? :huh:

jason2130 02-23-2009 02:17 AM

some schools use different colors just to be different i guess

some schools put the teacher in one color, assistants in a different color, and everyone else in white, not really for any particular reason other than maybe making it easier to find teachers/assistants

other than that strictly for looks, the 3 schools i went to required you to wear white only unless you where of instructor level

KENTUCKYREDBONE 02-23-2009 08:06 AM

In Judo the GI color means nothing! Although some that think of themselves as Judo purist claim any GI color other than White is Disrespectful. I can't claim to be in that category though.

County Mike 02-23-2009 11:33 AM

As far as I know, the gi color means nothing. I just prefer white because I can bleach out the blood stains.

Crisco 02-23-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike
As far as I know, the gi color means nothing. I just prefer white because I can bleach out the blood stains.

Yea I'm starting my way up the Judo ladder in march so I'm expecting the same. I'd prefer a black GI to be honest. Or a red one.

TexasRN 02-23-2009 03:31 PM

At my kids' dojang the color of the gi signifies which program you are in. For the regular class they have an all white gi. For black belt club it is all white with a black collar. Then there is a leadership class that grooms a select few to be leaders in the dojang, helping teach classes, running errands, doing the warm up, etc. and they wear blue with Leadership embroidered across the back. The assistant instructors wear a red gi. SabumNim wears a black gi and so does KwanJaNim. (sp?) Those are the 2 head, master instructors.


~Amy


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.