Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training/Nutrition (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need some medical advice (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5201)

VCURamFan 05-14-2010 02:29 AM

Need some medical advice
 
So I've been training BJJ & MT for the past week & a half now. I've got no problem with the soreness & stuff (I mean, I'm sore, I just don't mind it), but I'm paranoid as aw-get-out about Staph. I come straight home after practice & immediately take a shower, scrubbing myself all over, leaving no inch unwashed.

Here's problem: I developed a blister on the underside joint of my right big toe. I didn't even realize I had a blister until I was taping up my other toe (didn't want a busted nail catching on a gi & ripping), and by then it was already opened. I scrubbed it a lot last night in the shower (stung like a witch! :cry:), but after spending all day in a sweaty shoe at work today, when I got home, it was leaking a very watery discharge with what looked like some pus in it.

Here's my question: should I train again tomorrow? I really want to, but since I've got an "open wound", I also don't wanna risk getting anywhere near staph. Could any of the long time nurses/gym rats around here offer me some advice? I don't wanna miss out on training! :hissyfit:

Silverback 05-14-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 116544)
So I've been training BJJ & MT for the past week & a half now. I've got no problem with the soreness & stuff (I mean, I'm sore, I just don't mind it), but I'm paranoid as aw-get-out about Staph. I come straight home after practice & immediately take a shower, scrubbing myself all over, leaving no inch unwashed.

Here's problem: I developed a blister on the underside joint of my right big toe. I didn't even realize I had a blister until I was taping up my other toe (didn't want a busted nail catching on a gi & ripping), and by then it was already opened. I scrubbed it a lot last night in the shower (stung like a witch! :cry:), but after spending all day in a sweaty shoe at work today, when I got home, it was leaking a very watery discharge with what looked like some pus in it.

Here's my question: should I train again tomorrow? I really want to, but since I've got an "open wound", I also don't wanna risk getting anywhere near staph. Could any of the long time nurses/gym rats around here offer me some advice? I don't wanna miss out on training! :hissyfit:

Cut the dam thing off, Sissy and get on with it, oh after you cut it of take a red hot poker, well you get the ideal.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

Llamafighter 05-14-2010 02:41 AM

Don't worry about it. Wash it out with peroxide and tape it real good. just keep an eye on it.

VCURamFan 05-14-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverback (Post 116548)
Cut the dam thing off, Sissy and get on with it, oh after you cut it of take a red hot poker, well you get the ideal.:tongue0011::tongue0011::tongue0011:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llamafighter (Post 116549)
Don't worry about it. Wash it out with peroxide and tape it real good. just keep an eye on it.

I gotta be honest, Mark, Danny's idea sounds like it'll be a better story to tell the ladies! :laugh:

Silverback 05-14-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 116550)
I gotta be honest, Mark, Danny's idea sounds like it'll be a better story to tell the ladies! :laugh:

Yes, the chick's dig it:punch::punch::punch:

Llamafighter 05-14-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 116550)
I gotta be honest, Mark, Danny's idea sounds like it'll be a better story to tell the ladies! :laugh:

Then be a real man and sprinkle a little gunpowder on it!

mscomc 05-14-2010 03:17 AM

I have had that kind of stuff happen before.

I always just apply polysporin or some other topical antibiotic that you can get over the counter at the pharmacy, and wrap it, and apply a new dressing and new medicine once a day for about 3 days.

The peroxide will work too, but that stings like a mofo.:)

philips4 05-14-2010 03:46 AM

Just get wrestling shoes to wear until its healed! Good investment then you can wear them every time you cut your foot open, break toes, etc...... or I do like cutting the toe off idea too, both are good suggestions.

Silverback 05-14-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llamafighter (Post 116557)
Then be a real man and sprinkle a little gunpowder on it!

Then do it right, in this order, 1-chop off said toe, 2-sprinkle said toe,(the one that hurt's like a mofo)with gunpowder, 3-stick red hot poker to said toe,(remember, the said toe that hurts like a mofo) 4-big bottle Whiskey,fill shot glass up, take filled shot glass throw on toe, then down rest of bottle, for pain, good shape in about 3 days. (I am sure Dr. Tonya will sign off on this):yell::dizzy::faint:

TexasRN 05-14-2010 10:50 AM

I wouldn't keep using peroxide, it can hurt new cells and delay healing. It might not be a bad idea to take a break for 2 days or so and let your body heal and your wound close up a little before going back. I've never seen a tape job on a toe that stays on during an entire practice. I know I wouldn't want to deal with a partner who wipes his open wound on me when we grapple. :unsure-1:

I recommend going to the pharmacy or even Walmart if it's closer and buying a bottle of hibiclens. When you do go train again, make sure you wash the blister with that afterwards until it's healed. You can just squirt a little hibiclens on your blister while you are in the shower and use your fingers to wash the area. Don't scrub too hard, just keep it clean. Then during the day, keep it dry with a good bandage job.

If it isn't healing properly, gets red all around it, develops red streaks going towards your foot, you develop fever, the pus starts to smell really foul, etc then you need to seek medical attention. :wink:


~Amy


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.