Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training/Nutrition (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   light lifts (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4458)

Robertboxerboy 02-24-2010 02:39 AM

light lifts

me and my buddy were wondering about some light lifts for when your fitigued. For about three weeks we have been going hard and today for power clean we were just done for. I struggled with a amount that I got 5 times last week also adding a jerk to the end and today I was struggling to get it twice. we dont want to just stop lifting we just want some lighter lifts that will help us but wont wear on our bodies to bad.

gymcoach97 02-24-2010 05:46 AM

The problem is that you need to program better. You are probably doing way too much volume and that's "frying" your central nervous system.

That's what you most likely experienced today - CNS fatigue. Believe it or not, the muscles actually recover pretty quickly. But, your nervous system is a whole other entity in and of itself. Most people never even consider that as they train.

That's where trying to set up an S & C program for someone like an MMA fighter is so challenging. They train so much outside of the weight room with so many other disciplines that the last thing you want to do is beat the hell out of them in the weight room. While they may feel fine from a muscular standpoint (no soreness, etc.), their CNS may be an entire other issue.

Anyway, back on topic - in the future, I'd set your programming up for a 3-4 week block and make your last week a lower volume week. If you do it right, you should be able to maintain the intensity (i.e. the weight), but just do it for less sets and less reps. That will allow your body the time it needs to recover and in theoretical periodization terminology - hopefully, you'll achieve some type of adaptation or "supercompensation" effect.

Put your program up and I'll have a look at it and offer some thoughts/suggestions. While program design is not some quick-fix recipe, I have a pretty good idea for what's too much vs. what's not enough. Most people who write their own programs have far more than they need. They put in too many exercises and it's overkill.

Good Luck.

Robertboxerboy 02-24-2010 09:23 PM

Monday
Bench and Squat
Tuesday
Power Clean and Dead Lift
Wednesday
Power Pulls and Straight Leg Dead Lift with Ploymetrics
Thursday
Towel Bench and Front Squat.
(That is what our school uses the program is called Bigger Faster Stronger)

Sport Specific Lifts (very from Day to Day)
Snatches
Power Snatches
Hang Cleans
Over Head Squats
One Hand Snatches
Kodiaks
(That is about most of the main ones we do)

And this sets also very one week will be 3x3 next week will be 5x5 next week will be 5-3-1 next week will be 10-8-6 (excpet power clean and dead lift then its 4-4-3) then the next week it will be 3x3 and the circle just keeps going