Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Woodshed (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Satelite Collides with Satelite (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381)

Tyburn 02-12-2009 04:21 PM

Satelite Collides with Satelite
 
Two communications satellites have collided in the first-ever crash of two intact spacecraft in orbit, Nasa said.
The collision occurred on Tuesday nearly 500 miles over Siberia. The crash produced a pair of massive debris clouds, and the magnitude of the situation will not be known for weeks at least, said Nasa spokesman Kelly Humphries.
However, any risk to the international space station, which orbits below the collision course, is thought to be low. There should also be no danger to the forthcoming space shuttle flight, targeted for lift-off no earlier than February 22, "but they're continuing to analyse any possible risk," Humphries said.
The collision involved an Iridium commercial satellite, which was launched in 1997, and a Russian satellite launched in 1993 and believed to be non-functioning.
Each satellite weighed well over 1,000 pounds (455 kgs).
There have been four other cases in which space objects have collided accidentally in orbit, Nasa said.
But those were considered minor events and involved parts of spent rockets or small satellites.

Neezar 02-12-2009 04:27 PM

So, what are you trying to say?


















:laugh:

Tyburn 02-12-2009 04:34 PM

its a major event. Potentially heavy or dense material could be knocked out of orbit and fall into a heavily populated area (its unlikely, as it should burn up, but you never know) Its also extremely dangerous for anything else in orbit at present, until the debreefield is dispersed. What you have to remember is these bits are flying in orbit extremely fast. If you were an astronaught and you wanted to fly to the moon you would have to rise through the level where this accident happened, you run the risk of having your ship bombarded by trillions of tiny fragments flying so fast they'd cut your ship to shreds.

Again, hopefully the cloud disperses and the particals dont drop in orbit as a concentrated swarm...or else potentially it would be like putting the International in the Asteroid belt :laugh:

Moose 02-12-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
If you were an astronaught and you wanted to fly to the moon you would have to rise through the level where this accident happened, you run the risk of having your ship bombarded by trillions of tiny fragments flying so fast they'd cut your ship to shreds.

We do get bombarded by trillions of tiny fragments moving close to the speed of light every second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrinos

Neezar 02-12-2009 04:56 PM

That is what they get for putting things where they don't belong. (i.e. space) :laugh:

Gravity can be our friend.

Tyburn 02-12-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose
We do get bombarded by trillions of tiny fragments moving close to the speed of light every second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrinos

yes...but those wont cut your ship to pieces...space junk will. :rolleyes:

Tyburn 02-12-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neezar
That is what they get for putting things where they don't belong. (i.e. space) :laugh:

Gravity can be our friend.

:blink: what do you mean "putting things where they dont belong" :huh:

The Universe is ours to explore :w00t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

Neezar 02-12-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
:blink: what do you mean "putting things where they dont belong" :huh:

The Universe is ours to explore :w00t:

Well, explore it then. But bring your stuff back with you. :laugh:

Tyburn 02-12-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neezar
Well, explore it then. But bring your stuff back with you. :laugh:

The Satelites never went anywhere. They never got out of orbit. They werent supposed to explore, they were supposed to allow YOU to do things like call me, or watch TV...or whatever :unsure-1:

Neezar 02-12-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
The Satelites never went anywhere. They never got out of orbit. They werent supposed to explore, they were supposed to allow YOU to do things like call me, or watch TV...or whatever :unsure-1:

See, we don't need 'em up there. :laugh:


You have a phone? :huh: Why haven't you called? :unsure-1:


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.