Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Karo test positive for painkillers (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355)

matthughesfan21 02-10-2009 08:36 PM

Karo test positive for painkillers

UFC 94 competitor Karo Parisyan tests positive for prescription painkillers
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm ET
UFC veteran welterweight Karo Parisyan, who last competed on Jan. 31 in a victory over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94, tested positive for a multiple prescription painkillers at the event.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed news of the failed test to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

According to Kizer, Parisyan tested positive for the banned substances hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxymorphone.

Parisyan will now be subject to a suspension and fine from the NSAC.

In addition to Parisyan, other UFC 94 fighters tested for steroids and drugs of abuse include Georges St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Clay Guida, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard, Thiago Tavares, Stephan Bonnar and Nate Diaz.

All competitors except Parisyan test negative.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for updates on this story.

VCURamFan 02-10-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
UFC 94 competitor Karo Parisyan tests positive for prescription painkillers
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm ET
UFC veteran welterweight Karo Parisyan, who last competed on Jan. 31 in a victory over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94, tested positive for a multiple prescription painkillers at the event.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed news of the failed test to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

According to Kizer, Parisyan tested positive for the banned substances hydrocodone, hydromorphone and oxymorphone.

Parisyan will now be subject to a suspension and fine from the NSAC.

In addition to Parisyan, other UFC 94 fighters tested for steroids and drugs of abuse include Georges St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Clay Guida, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard, Thiago Tavares, Stephan Bonnar and Nate Diaz.

All competitors except Parisyan test negative.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for updates on this story.

No wonder he looked so out of it!

Llamafighter 02-10-2009 08:38 PM

Do they remove the loss from Dong's record?

Crisco 02-10-2009 08:39 PM

That leg never fully healed for him. May need the killers to just to keep going

Crisco 02-10-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Do they remove the loss from Dong's record?

I believe it's ruled a no contest say yea. he becomes ?-?-1

rearnakedchoke 02-10-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisco
I believe it's ruled a no contest say yea. he becomes ?-?-1

Does it not depend on the athletic commission? doesn't sherk's win over franca still count as a win? i might be wrong ... as for karo, i am not a big fan of the guy, and yes he had banned substances in his system, but i would give him a pass as a first time offender and the fact that he was probably taking them for something else and not trying to cheat

Bonnie 02-10-2009 09:39 PM

I really think Dong won that fight, myself.

If a fighter has to be on painkillers for something and is upfront about it, will they allow him to fight (depending on what the drug is and how much he is taking)? :unsure-1:

Country Breakfast 02-10-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie

If a fighter has to be on painkillers for something and is upfront about it, will they allow him to fight (depending on what the drug is and how much he is taking)? :unsure-1:

Not any of the narcotic stuff he was taking(I would think)
That stuff could very well be a detriment for him in a fight. If he took enough of them it could be like "fighting under the influence".

Spiritwalker 02-10-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
Does it not depend on the athletic commission? doesn't sherk's win over franca still count as a win? i might be wrong ... as for karo, i am not a big fan of the guy, and yes he had banned substances in his system, but i would give him a pass as a first time offender and the fact that he was probably taking them for something else and not trying to cheat

Correct. Sean's win is still a win.

And yes, it's determined by the ruling commission.

Spiritwalker 02-10-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie

Probably not allow them to fight if it's still in their system to the point where it can effect them. But if you need it that bad... you probably shouldn't even be driving, let alone fighting.

I am a Karo fan. But that's just plain stupid.

I would like to know why he was taking them. The amounts in his system.

I was on some kick but pain killers when I was in the hospital years ago. I had to take them for a few weeks.. but then I ran out and was stopped cold.. and I seriously felt the withdrawal..

So maybe it's an addiction?