Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Matt Hughes (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Made In America Book review (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352)

Tyburn 02-10-2009 06:19 PM

Made In America Book review

I couldnít help but write a review that counters some other reviews Iíve heard. Iíve read a number of bad reviews for this book, but I wish to address something which I feel people donít realize.

For the rest of my review follow the link below.

http://www.mmahitpit.com/diaries/all...entries/review

to read the review that I am specifically refering to....in the above sentance...you look at the other review on MMAHitPit...It might make you angry though...so dont say I didnt warn you :ninja:

cheachea 02-10-2009 08:52 PM

Great review Tyburn.:)

cheachea 02-10-2009 09:02 PM

You know, I know Matt's not perfect but I got alot respect for him. He has been able to take his success and use it for God's glory and that's awesome.

Tyburn 02-10-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheachea
Great review Tyburn.:)

:ashamed: thanks.

What I like about the book is exactly what a lot of other people dont. I find it ironic that some people would use his book to show how he is hypercritical about Faith...without obviously reading the bit about the Conversion...its as if they assume that Hughes was born with it...thus any antics in the first part of the book are for shame.

But thats not what its about...Matt Hughes books shows exactly why he needed the Lord in the first eleven Chapters...one thing I forgot to add was the symbolism of water and how its used in the book.

The first time we see it someone ends up killed, and Hughes nearly dies aswell. The water is here seen as a dangerous threshold, something that once crossed cant be reversed. It brings home the reality of what Water can do to a Human...years later it is a painting involving what? water...and people drowning in it

You could look at Hughes whole life and say it was expressed in those few moments under the water when he nearly died as a young man. It starts off so innocent. Just like the life of a Heathen, there is nothing serious, no harm in a little fun here and there. The only power you have is you, and you have ultimate power. Even in the face of danger

and then suddenly you realize that you arent the centre of the universe and you cant save yourself. There are other forces stronger then you and you end up in trouble. What was fun and seemed pleasent now appears malicious and like deciet

at some point you realize you are in to deep, and suddenly there is more to lose then you thought you had to begin with. Knowing you are in shyte and you were wrong isnt enough to save you. You need outside help.

in the drama of his youth, out of nowhere Hughes had an idea that saved him. What he actually recieved is whats liturgically known as Revelation...something, the answer to his difficulties was disclosed, revealed to him in exactly the same way that he saw that painting and realized he was in the water again...this time on a more grande scale.

Shall I tell you something even more outstanding then that. What do you suppose Water symbolizes Liturgically?

Re-birth. Its the symbol of Baptism. To be saved, to end ones old life and to rise up out of the water as something pure and new.

I should have put that into the book review :sad: but it would have been wasted on the haters anyway :mellow: infact I will add an ammendment I think, one extra paragraph wouldnt hurt. But I'll wait til I have confirmation on the completeion of this upload...see He hasnt told me its up yet...and he's not quite finished like turning all the quotes into italics yet...sooo I think I'm not supposed to know its on the website yet LOL

so when he sends me the link...I'll ask him to add in a little paragraph, which will be a refined paragraph on the above. I should really stop thinking about it now, Or I'll see something else and before you know it I'll bewriting a bloody psycho-symbolic compendium...and he wont thank me for that hahahahahahaha

Bonnie 02-10-2009 09:56 PM

Dave,

That was wonderful! You really hit the nail on the head with your review of Matt's book. I've seen some of the other reviews that bashed the book for it's contents (e.g., twisting Matt's words to make him seem a hypocrite, etc...). But, to me, those people weren't interested in Matt's words as far as learning about the man from his start in life to the road he's traveled to get to where he is today; but, rather, they were more interested in taking bits and pieces of what he said and turning it into something ugly to use against him.

I just referenced Matt's book in my comment to him on his blog page regarding today's blog. Basically, I said that it was his honesty, how open he was/is that is one of the things I like and respect so much about him. I think he is a man who says what he means and means what he says. I told him he is what I like to call "true blue".

His book made me laugh when he shared the antics Mark and he got up too as toddlers to young men (I mean come on--throwing pig testicles, at their now long-time friend, Fiore!). It made me sad when he talked of the not-so-good times at home and when he lost his friends. And then, special to my heart, is his relationship with Mark (I'm a twin too, 'nuff said). It was just refreshing and surprising to see someone be so honest and open (even when it might not make him look good).

Like you said, if people are looking for more of a MMA book, this might not be their cup of tea. But, if they want to read about the man, Matt Hughes, who also happens to be the "most dominant champion" in UFC history to date, then this is a book they should read.

Thank you, Dave. Keep up the good work! :happy0159:

Tyburn 02-10-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie
(I'm a twin too, 'nuff said).

:huh: there are two of you two :w00t:

thanks Bonnie. I did my best :ashamed:

Bonnie 02-10-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
:huh: there are two of you two :w00t:

thanks Bonnie. I did my best :ashamed:

Yeah, she's the better half!:wink:

As to you doing your "best", you most certainly did! :)

hizo64 02-12-2009 09:17 PM

Dude I feel so bad! Out of all the books I always read and buy I have totally for got about this one!! Yipes!! Im gonna get me one and read it for myself!