Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   MMA (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   An Accident Waiting To happen (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351)

Tyburn 02-10-2009 06:10 PM

An Accident Waiting To happen
 
I want to ask a question. Why canít the Judges of a Competition deduct points without the direct command from the Ref?



You might ask why I would want to give judges that power, when they have been known to act politically at times both for and against participants in the UFC. My answer, strange though it may sound, would be on the ground of Fighter safety. Now I expect you are really puzzled, so I shall explain.


follow the link for the rest :laugh:

http://www.mmahitpit.com/news/anaccidentwaitingtohappen

ufcfan2 02-10-2009 11:45 PM

I did'nt click on link I was afraid I would of gotten Rick 'N Rolled :tongue0011:

Tyburn 02-10-2009 11:47 PM

:huh: I'm sorry, do you speak English :laugh:

I promise its just a link to my artical :ninja:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufcfan2
I did'nt click on link I was afraid I would of gotten Rick 'N Rolled :tongue0011:


Max 02-11-2009 03:32 AM

allowing a judge to take a point away when the ref does not think a point should be taken away is stupid. Allowing a judge to take a point away when no foul has even been called or rule the fight a no contest ****ing stupid. First, if a foul, such as a low blow or poke in the eye, makes it so a fighter can not continue the fighter who committed the foul is not given the win. The only time I have ever seen this happen was in the Anthony Johnson fight and that was because the ref did not see the eye poke. In most cases the fight will be ruled a No Contest or if the fight has gone long enough (past the 3rd round I think) they will go to the judges. Second, there is no way they can allow judges to take points away if the ref did not think a point should be taken away. You are giving the judge more power than the should ever have. There would be no consistency in the judging at that point. Allowing them to take points away when no foul was even called would cause even more problems. A judge could take a point away simply because he might have seen a foul that might or might not have happened. If MMA made the changes you suggest it would destroy the sport.

Tyburn 02-11-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max
allowing a judge to take a point away when the ref does not think a point should be taken away is stupid. Allowing a judge to take a point away when no foul has even been called or rule the fight a no contest ****ing stupid. First, if a foul, such as a low blow or poke in the eye, makes it so a fighter can not continue the fighter who committed the foul is not given the win. The only time I have ever seen this happen was in the Anthony Johnson fight and that was because the ref did not see the eye poke. In most cases the fight will be ruled a No Contest or if the fight has gone long enough (past the 3rd round I think) they will go to the judges. Second, there is no way they can allow judges to take points away if the ref did not think a point should be taken away. You are giving the judge more power than the should ever have. There would be no consistency in the judging at that point. Allowing them to take points away when no foul was even called would cause even more problems. A judge could take a point away simply because he might have seen a foul that might or might not have happened. If MMA made the changes you suggest it would destroy the sport.

No, the judges only have that power IF it goes to decision....and I dont mean the judges just take points. I think when the Ref calls for a time out. So its OBVIOUS a foul has happened. then the Judges shouldnt need him to come and tell them they can deduct a point if they so wish.

It would make Fighters less careless, and also make them want to FINISH the fights more. That of course would leave the judges powerless, since they can only act IF the fighters fail to finish the fight.

This is all in the hands of a fighter. A careful fighter wont be penalized, a Fighter who finishes wether careful or not wont be penalized. A fighter who keeps delivering low blows and fails to finish his opponent legitamately will get it in the head. I think that he deserves it. There is no way that Dan Henderson deserved to win that fight. How could one expect Franklin to win the first and third rounds when dissadvantaged through no fault of his own BY illegal moves on Hendersons behalf?

So...they've rewarded Henderson for a bad performance. TUF has the power to make or break someones popularity, I hope its a curse for him. I dont know about the headbutt, but that eyepoke looked deliberate. Would you still be so happy, if Rich Franklin had been forced to retire or something...coz I'm telling you its just a matter of time. Dont you dare go on about Fighter Safety the day one of your idols is forced into early retirement by an illegal move, if you offer nothing as to how to solve the issue.

And...are you honnestly telling me if they had stopped the fight they wouldnt have called it as Henderson by TKO in the third? Look at Anderson Silva who had nothing to do with the stoppage Verses Patrick Cote...and yet who won?

Max 02-11-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
And...are you honnestly telling me if they had stopped the fight they wouldnt have called it as Henderson by TKO in the third? Look at Anderson Silva who had nothing to do with the stoppage Verses Patrick Cote...and yet who won?

Im gonna respond to this first and then I will respond to the rest of your post later. Had the fight been stopped at that point they would not have just given the fight to Henderson. I think there were only 10 sec left so they might have gone to the judges score cards but they would not have ruled the fight a TKO for Hendo. There is a major difference in what happened in the Silva vs Cote fight and a fight ending in an illegal blow. Silva did nothing illegal to cause Cote to get hurt. Cote was throwing a punch, or kick I cant remember, and hurt himself. At that point Cote could not continue and they have to call the fight for Silva. The same thing would have happened had BJ not been able to continue when he hurt his rib against Matt. The fight would have been ruled a TKO for Matt.

VCURamFan 02-11-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max
Im gonna respond to this first and then I will respond to the rest of your post later. Had the fight been stopped at that point they would not have just given the fight to Henderson. I think there were only 10 sec left so they might have gone to the judges score cards but they would not have ruled the fight a TKO for Hendo. There is a major difference in what happened in the Silva vs Cote fight and a fight ending in an illegal blow. Silva did nothing illegal to cause Cote to get hurt. Cote was throwing a punch, or kick I cant remember, and hurt himself. At that point Cote could not continue and they have to call the fight for Silva. The same thing would have happened had BJ not been able to continue when he hurt his rib against Matt. The fight would have been ruled a TKO for Matt.

Agreed. There's a huge difference between a stoppage due to illegal blow & a stoppage due to injury.

Neezar 02-11-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max
allowing a judge to take a point away when the ref does not think a point should be taken away is stupid.

I agree.

Tyburn 02-11-2009 06:08 PM

:mellow:

Well i'm entitled to my opinion :tongue0011:

Neezar 02-11-2009 06:10 PM

Yes, you are. :) Even if we do think it sucks. :laugh:


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.