Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   MMA (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Jake Shields did not sign with Strikeforce... others did (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345)

TheConcretekid 02-10-2009 11:58 AM

Jake Shields did not sign with Strikeforce... others did

UPDATE:
Bigfoot Silva and Ninja Rua
FiveOuncesOfPain

Quote:

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that two fighters that will remain under contract to ProElite are EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva and former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo “Ninja” Rua.

Shields:
MMAWeekly

Quote:

Though Coker says most of Elite's "top 12" fighters have given assurances they will fight for Strikeforce, it's former welterweight champion, Jake Shields, is not yet committed to the San Jose-based promotion.

"We're still in negotiations," Shields' manager and father, Jack Shields, told MMAInsider late Sunday night.

"Just like with Randy's deal, when he was in the situation with the UFC, to do a declaratory (ruling), it's going to be another six months for these fighters, and then we'll be forced to take them down that path, and the fighter's not going to fight for six months, and the court will rule one way or another.

Cyborg:
Sherdog

Quote:

Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos agreed to a world-exclusive, four-fight deal over the weekend with the promotion, which landed a multi-year agreement last week to broadcast up to 16 events a year on Showtime, along with an additional four shows on CBS.

Frank Shamrock:
Fightlinker

I know he was already signed to Strikeforce but here is his actual contract that I assume looks similar to the contracts others are going to be signing.

Still waiting to hear from Gina and Robbie and the other... like 4... big names EliteXC had. They are all expected to sign, but news hasn't broke yet.

atomdanger 02-10-2009 03:13 PM

Jake should stay there, he does not have what it takes to compete in the ufc.

He wouldn't stand a shot at the title IMO

TheConcretekid 02-10-2009 05:09 PM

I guess it's kind of like when UFC purchased Pride:

Anderson Silva was 3-2 in Pride and is now the number one 185er in the world, to some the P4P number one fighter in the world.

And there was Cro-Cop who only lost 4 times (to Nog, Fedor, Randleman, and Mark Hunt) in his over 20 fights for PFC, he was reguarded as one of the greatest fighters/strikers/heavyweights on the planet, and then he went 0-2 in the UFC and was cut.

So if the UFC picks up Shields, or any other fighters, will they be a Silva or a Cro-Cop?

Josh 02-10-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheConcretekid

Anderson Silva was 3-2 in Pride and is now the number one 185er in the world, to some the P4P number one fighter in the world.

And there was Cro-Cop who only lost 4 times (to Nog, Fedor, Randleman, and Mark Hunt) in his over 20 fights for PFC, he was reguarded as one of the greatest fighters/strikers/heavyweights on the planet, and then he went 0-2 in the UFC and was cut.

So if the UFC picks up Shields, or any other fighters, will they be a Silva or a Cro-Cop?

I think he would be in the middle of the talent at WW. I don't think he would be the worst but I don't see him getting a belt shot.

rearnakedchoke 02-10-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheConcretekid

i think CC was 1-2 .. a win over sanchez in his debut then killed by GG and embarrassed by chech ..

TheConcretekid 02-10-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
i think CC was 1-2 .. a win over sanchez in his debut then killed by GG and embarrassed by chech ..

touché

I think some of these guys have this mindset:

I am the (weightclass) champion of (non-UFC organisation)
My org (went bankrupt, fell apart, was bought out, is slowly dying)
I could go to the UFC and fight the top guys in the world...
But I may lose to those guys, they look pretty big.

Or I could go fight for another smaller org and become their champion!
And once I'm the champ (non-UFC org) will pay me more!

Hmm, get paid more and fight easier fights...
Or possibly lose to tougher guys, falling in the ranks, losing my sponsors and taking a hit in the wallet...

Look out Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice! Here I come!

GroundNPound 02-18-2009 03:29 PM

I'm still waiting for Shields to man up and sign with the UFC. He always says how good he is and has called out Matt, GSP, and others. Time for him to step up and see where he falls in the division. I doubt he'd be #1 or #2 like he thinks.

Crisco 02-18-2009 03:45 PM

Shields is really not that good

matthughesfan21 02-18-2009 03:48 PM

He'd barely be top 10 ufc ww imo, he's highly overrated

rockdawg21 02-18-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomdanger
Jake should stay there, he does not have what it takes to compete in the ufc.

He wouldn't stand a shot at the title IMO

Yeah, it's funny to hear him talking about getting a shot at GSP. There's plenty of LW's in the UFC who would take him.

KenFlo
Joe Daddy
Sanchez
Sherk
Penn

Then the WW's:

Hughes
Koschek
Alves
Fitch
I'll even throw in that Rumble Johnson would KO him.

He would get owned in the UFC.