Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Just a little opinion (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332)

Crisco 02-09-2009 06:38 PM

Just a little opinion

If BJ keeps fighting and stays at lightweight no one can beat him. Florian is a great LW but BJ will destroy him.

The problem in the GSP fight was GSP. He is a so massive and fast and talented. He is a bigger, better BJ Penn.

BJ is faster and stronger at LW because he is forced to be in shape that is why 155 was perfect for BJ he needs to go back there and secure his legacy again. His record isn't steller and it doesn't reflect how good he really can be if he tried.

Going out now is a bad way to do it and fighting GSP again for the same if not worse result won't do him or his legacy any good.

atomdanger 02-09-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisco
If BJ keeps fighting and stays at lightweight no one can beat him. Florian is a great LW but BJ will destroy him.

The problem in the GSP fight was GSP. He is a so massive and fast and talented. He is a bigger, better BJ Penn.

BJ is faster and stronger at LW because he is forced to be in shape that is why 155 was perfect for BJ he needs to go back there and secure his legacy again. His record isn't steller and it doesn't reflect how good he really can be if he tried.

Going out now is a bad way to do it and fighting GSP again for the same if not worse result won't do him or his legacy any good.

I don't think he is better than BJ Penn at anything, just bigger and stronger.
A lot of people bring up the wrestling, but wrestling seems to be a lot about size and strength.

Crisco 02-09-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomdanger
A lot of people bring up the wrestling, but wrestling seems to be a lot about size and strength.

GSP's athletics versus BJ's flexibility.

GSP's athletics win. At 170 BJ is overrated at 155 BJ is unbeatable.

GSP's mma striking is way more advanced then BJ's he puts it together better. In a straight boxing match BJ walks away the winner but when you take kicks into consideration or make it a kickboxing match GSP all the way.

BJ better boxer GSP better fighter.

Blmfighter 02-09-2009 07:04 PM

In what fight did BJ show that he is a good boxer?

rockdawg21 02-09-2009 07:10 PM

Guess you didn't see his fight with Sherk?
Even Matt said that BJ punches harder than anybody he's ever fought, and Matt's fought guys much bigger than BJ.
If I remember correctly, they showed a stat prior to the GSP fight - BJ lands something like 70% of his jabs.

County Mike 02-09-2009 07:32 PM

Even GSP knew that BJ had impressive boxing. His strategy was to force BJ against the fence, so that BJ would tire out his shoulders trying to push him off. He wantes BJ to have tired shoulders so he couldn't throw that wicked jab.

When you develop a game plan around the other guys jab, I'd say he's a pretty good boxer.

Josh 02-09-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike
Even GSP knew that BJ had impressive boxing. His strategy was to force BJ against the fence, so that BJ would tire out his shoulders trying to push him off. He wantes BJ to have tired shoulders so he couldn't throw that wicked jab.

When you develop a game plan around the other guys jab, I'd say he's a pretty good boxer.

Haha. So true.

Jason 16 02-09-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomdanger

NO its more than 90% skill I almost all ways wrestle up above my normal weight and I still do good. and the same with our 112 pounder he goes up to 125 if need be

Blmfighter 02-09-2009 08:58 PM

Just because someone hits hard does not prove they are god Boxers. If that was the case then Tank would be a world class boxer. In the sherk fight he had a nice reach advantage and was fighting a wrestler. Donít get me wrong I think he does have some skills however I would not list BJ in the top list as MMA boxing skills go.

When you fight a guy with a smaller reach and not very good at boxing you should do well against him.

Jason 16 02-09-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Guess you didn't see his fight with Sherk?
Even Matt said that BJ punches harder than anybody he's ever fought, and Matt's fought guys much bigger than BJ.
If I remember correctly, they showed a stat prior to the GSP fight - BJ lands something like 70% of his jabs.

I just wonder if that fight would have been diffrent if bj had the same reach as sherk because more than any thing that screwed him the most.