Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Thank god we aren't baseball (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308)

atomdanger 02-08-2009 07:56 AM

Thank god we aren't baseball

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ids/index.html

Interesting article about A rod testing positive in 2003,
of course the year he broke a home run record and won MVP.

Anyhow, the article mentions that 104 players tested positive in 2003.
WOW.

Imagine if 104 MMA fighters tested positive in major company,
imagine the scrutiny mma would have to deal with.

Tyburn 02-08-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomdanger
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ids/index.html

Interesting article about A rod testing positive in 2003,
of course the year he broke a home run record and won MVP.

Anyhow, the article mentions that 104 players tested positive in 2003.
WOW.

Imagine if 104 MMA fighters tested positive in major company,
imagine the scrutiny mma would have to deal with.

when put like that.

Its a MAJOR affiar if ONE tests positive...and I think thats absolutely right. there is no room in this sport for cheaters. If you cant win, lose with some dignity...dont cheat and get a win, or hope that cheating will help you win and then lose.

Martial arts and combat sports carry something that other sports dont. The only thing that protects other sports is usually the integrity of the participents and the strictness of the controlling insitutions. In Martial Arts, anyone who has been properly trained will have a sense of respect, honnor and morals plugged into them AS PART OF their training. All Ancient Arts descend primarily from some kind of Philo-deism. Now that may not be correct, or noticed in this post-modern world...but its a fact.

Fighters should be displaying these qualities and cheating obviously undermines that...you would hope that some of the training thats taught to them would limit the amount of smack they produce, and the likelihood that they would cheat with low blows, illegal moves, or banned substances. Their ancient Masters would be turning in their graves, with the shame and disgrace that some Fighters have bought on themselves, their teams, and their arts with some of the poor performances and antics that some MMA fighters have employed in the last few years.

Regardless of the fact other sports let their participents cheat as a rule of thumb, MMA fans should be calling on and expecting nothing less then absolute zero tollerance on the issue...sadly I fear that ahlf the fans dont understand what a martial art is, and half the fighters arent being train properly in the artforms...I fear in ten years from now we COULD be baseball :(

cubsfan47 02-08-2009 01:14 PM

I have followed baseball for a long time. My grandfather taught me the love of the game. He was a telegrapher for Western Union, and when I went to visit him he took me to the games in Milwaukee; he had to "work" sending out the play by play on the wire service. I got to sit in the booth.:cool:

Anyway, I still enjoy the game despite the aftermath of the steroid issue. Based on what we know now, while many did use PEDs, the vast majority have never done so. Given the testing in place now, the use of PEDS, while still possible is very difficult.

There is also the stigma; I collect sports memorabilia. I have burned some jerseys and so have some of my friends. Then there is the issue of the Baseball Hall Of Fame. How will these stigmatized players explain this to their children and grandchildren? This is all very sad. Had MLB instituted the testing program much sooner most of this could have been avoided. Now there is going to be book after book about this. :cry:

Of course baseball is not alone; there were earlier scandals involving drug use in the NFL and NBA. Then there's the whole blood doping scandal from the various international sports competitions. Oh yeah, the Tour De France?

Given the testing procedures now in place, I don't think the use of PEDs will get to be the serious problem it has been in other sports. It won't be totally absent given that we are dealing with humans.

(Gee I have rattled on about like Tyburn)

I have some jersey cases in my den that used to contain baseball jerseys. Lots of other baseball stuff too. My jersey cases will now contain an autographed shirt of Matt's, another one autographed by Phillipe Nover, and also there will be Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson and other MMA stuff.

The university where I work has a non-scholarship athletic program. I am going to their baseball games. It's up close and personal, I know the student athletes personally, I have met their parents and it is just very enjoyable.

Oh yeah, I will still watch an occasional Cubs game in the vain hope that..... well you know.:ashamed:

Instead of spending the money on the Direct TV baseball package I will be watching MMA Pay Per Views. It's great to watch men who you can respect for both what they do and who they are.

Sorry for the rant, this just touched a nerve.

Spiritwalker 02-08-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn

Regardless of the fact other sports let their participents cheat as a rule of thumb, MMA fans should be calling on and expecting nothing less then absolute zero tollerance on the issue...sadly I fear that ahlf the fans dont understand what a martial art is, and half the fighters arent being train properly in the artforms...I fear in ten years from now we COULD be baseball :(

Well no offense to those that train "MMA". Something I have had to come to terms with.. training in MMA is not the same as training in a traditional martial art.

But I don't feel that "banned substances" is rampant in MMA. Even though this is individual competition, there often seem to be more of a "team atmosphere" than in baseball and football. And a team is no good when it focuses on one individual.

Sure there are those that feel that they needs something extra (banned stuff).. Bonner, Silva, Franca, Gracie (imo Sherk got screwed)...But you also have Nick and Melivn who just used drugs.. If you look at all of those fighters... and others..you will see a lot of self centered-ness..

paying a baseball player 20 mil a year, to play a game.. a football player 60 mil. Yet they are flown everywhere.. medical care, team doctors, staff upon staff.. millions of dollars to be made in sponsors...

yet when the big game is won.. rarely do you hear about the team that brought them there, it's always "I".. you never hear about "thanks Nike for support.."..

But when a fighter.. wins the big game..what's the firstthing the fighter really has to say... "I wanna thank..."

To many "team sports" competitors think that the revolves around them... no concept of team.. it's all individual achievement, and that's where the huge need for steroids comes from... IMO

It isn't the fault of the users.. it's a fault in the athlete. IMO

cubsfan47 02-08-2009 02:43 PM

Wow spiritwalker, an incredible post, especially the ending.

I am glad I found a sport where, as I have written before, you can respect people for both who they are as well as what they do.

Tyburn 02-08-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Well no offense to those that train "MMA". Something I have had to come to terms with.. training in MMA is not the same as training in a traditional martial art.

Thats because I suspect they dont bother teaching the FULL art to anyone. They could, there is no reason why they shouldnt. I guess they just dont see it important to competition. Actually I believe that it enhances competition by building up the athlete.

If those who taught MMA bothered to teach the FULL disciplines of all the arts they incorperate we wouldnt have half this issue. I still find it really strange when I talk to someone whose good enough to fight on TV...and doesnt realize that each Art comes with its own form of morals, much less wants to admit historically where those Morals come from (they arent all Christian, but they are all religious in someway)

Tyburn 02-08-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfan47
(Gee I have rattled on about like Tyburn)

:ashamed: theres nowt wrong with that :w00t:

rockdawg21 02-08-2009 03:32 PM

It's ridiculous. A few years ago, they went on strike complaining they weren't making enough money. So now they're buying roids and HGH. Turns out, they went on strike so they could afford to buy roids and HGH.

I hope MLB goes down, it's a boring sport anyways.

Jason 16 02-08-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritwalker

But I don't feel that "banned substances" is rampant in MMA. Even though this is individual competition, there often seem to be more of a "team atmosphere" than in baseball and football. And a team is no good when it focuses on one individual.

Sure there are those that feel that they needs something extra (banned stuff).. Bonner, Silva, Franca, Gracie (imo Sherk got screwed)...But you also have Nick and Melivn who just used drugs.. If you look at all of those fighters... and others..you will see a lot of self centered-ness..

paying a baseball player 20 mil a year, to play a game.. a football player 60 mil. Yet they are flown everywhere.. medical care, team doctors, staff upon staff.. millions of dollars to be made in sponsors...

yet when the big game is won.. rarely do you hear about the team that brought them there, it's always "I".. you never hear about "thanks Nike for support.."..

But when a fighter.. wins the big game..what's the firstthing the fighter really has to say... "I wanna thank..."

To many "team sports" competitors think that the revolves around them... no concept of team.. it's all individual achievement, and that's where the huge need for steroids comes from... IMO

It isn't the fault of the users.. it's a fault in the athlete. IMO

great post :happy0159: :party0019:

Jason 16 02-08-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdawg21
It's ridiculous. A few years ago, they went on strike complaining they weren't making enough money. So now they're buying roids and HGH. Turns out, they went on strike so they could afford to buy roids and HGH.

I hope MLB goes down, it's a boring sport anyways.

QFT I just never got into MLB and I just dont get why there payed so dam much